8. Do you believe me?

"I hope the effect lasts longer." Nandini said to herself as she looked at the capsule box in her hand. She had spent the whole weekend in mixing the ingredients and making a much stronger dose of the capsule. She had tested it and she was sure it worked but she still wasn't sure as to how long it's effect would last.

Her face scrunched at the bitter taste of the capsule when it came in contact with her tongue. She chewed it despite it's bitter taste. "Good things always taste bitter." she convinced herself as she chewed it and made her way towards the reception desk.

She signed the attendance sheet and made her entry in the fingerprint recognition system before going to Manik's cabin. She placed the files he had asked for and his schedule on his table.

Just when she was about leave his cabin, his scent trickled her nostrils. ' He's here. ' her mind registered as she took a step away from the door and right then the door closer clicked opened.

"Good morning sir." she wished with a polite smile.

"Good morning Nandini." he smiled and her smile only grew wider. She really liked it when he called her ' Nandini ' and not ' Miss Taylor '

"The meeting with the department heads is scheduled at ten and after that you've a zoom meeting with our overseas clients at twelve." she briefed his schedule as he walked past her and settled on his chair. "Also the files you asked for are on the table and as you instructed I have cleared your schedule after lunch."

"Hmm. And what about the gathering today evening?"

"I have booked the place you asked for, informed all the department heads and even posted the message in the company's group chat." she informed.

"Good work-" he paused for a second or so, before adding. "Nandini."

"Thank you sir." she had been grinning like a fool, even she herself knew it but whatsoever she couldn't hold back her grin. May be because she was used to him calling her ' Miss Taylor', him calling her by her name somehow felt different. She strangely liked her name being rolled down those lips of his.

-

Both Manik and Nandini were currently standing on the doorsteps of Mr. Reyes after quite a busy day with them attending meetings, reviewing the contract and also dealing with the overly demanding overseas client. Nandini had tried to convince him to go alone as it was a personal visit and not anything business related but he was adamant on taking her along.

"I still think you should go alone. I can wait for you in the car." she suggested.

"We are already here. So why the sudden change in mind?" Right then Mr. Reyes opened the door. Nandini had no other choice but to smile and greet him. He led them both to the living room. The first thing she noticed in the living room was the colorful glass flower vase put on the middle of the table.

' It's really beautiful. ' the thought crossed her mind as she sat on the sofa. The living room was quite spacious with huge sofa set lined in a rectangular U-shape in one side of the wall and a 55' inch television hanging on the other side of the wall.

"Bring snacks for the-"

"No uncle we just had lunch and we also have to rush back for the gathering." Manik interrupted. "I'll just go and check up on Sia."

"But-"

"Uncle it's really okay." he paused. "So, is she upstairs in her room?"

Mr. Reyes nodded.

"I'll go talk with her." he cut a glance at Nandini just in case she wanted to tag along to but in not getting any response, he made his way up the stairs and into the hallway. He knocked on Sia's door. "Dad I am fine. You don't need-"

"Sia. It's me. Open the door." he had just finished saying this when the door clicked open. "Don't come in. My room's a mess." she said as she stepped outside.

"Sia-" he started only to be cut by her.

"Manik I know why you are here but I am really fine."

"I can't trust your words. You've never for once-"

"Do you believe me Manik?" Sia interrupted.

"Is that even supposed to be a question?" he tilted his head slightly with his gaze fix on her. "I do. How can I not when we have been friends for so long?"

"But I don't want to be your friend. I am tired of pretending to not have feelings for you." she wanted to say it out aloud but she didn't. She just couldn't. She wasn't brave enough to profess her feelings for him.

"Will you believe me if I say there are paranormal beings living amidst us?"

His forehead scrunched on her words. Those words of her were hard to believe for him. What was she trying to say? "Sia what are you- " he started only to be cut by her.

"I am just kidding Manik." she let out a chuckle. "Don't tell me you believe that." Just by seeing his expression, she knew what he was about to say. ' Why is he so easy to read? ' she ran a hand through her hair.

"That's a relief. I can't afford to lose my only sane friend."

"You do realize if Kai hears this, he isn't going to leave you alone."

"He isn't exactly sane, is he? He just does whatever he likes."

"Are you still mad that he abruptly took a two week leave to go on a vacation?" she pried.

"I am not." he contradicted. "He could just go and jump off a cliff and I wouldn't care."

"Says the one who ditched an important meeting to rush him to the hospital when he just had a stomach ache."

Sia knew how much Kai meant to Manik. Kai and Manik grew up together in the same neighborhood and he was like Manik's little brother. You could as well say Kai saved Manik when he was at his lowest.

"It was a purely out of humanity." he let out a sigh. "And let's not talk about that moron. I am here for you right now."

She shook her head lightly.

"I am fine Manik. I just got pretty obsessed and carried away with those paranormal genre story. I'll be back to my normal schedule from tomorrow." she assured, holding his right hand.

"I heard from uncle you weren't even willing to come out of your room. What suddenly made you change your mind? Or wait-" his hold on her hand tightened. "are you lying to me?"

She looked right into his eyes. "Would I ever lie to you?"

He stared back at her, convinced that she wasn't lying. "So you are really okay right?"

She nodded with a fake smile. "Yeah I am."