11.A showoff fiasco

An hour later after the 'Nothing's wrong' ruse of Sia, which should not have been that big of a deal, Nandini still couldn't get her mind off the fearful look that Sia had in her eyes. That look in Sia's eyes she had seen it before and she dreaded that look.

'Don't. Don't come near me. Y-You are a monster.' Those words rang in her ears yet again, making her shriek. She ran a hand through her hair, letting out a heavy breath. She didn't want anyone looking at her that way, never again.

'It was nothing. That look meant nothing. I am just overthinking.', she tried convincing herself for the umpteenth time only to fail miserably. Her hold on the open file on her lap tightened and the side of the file cover broke, breaking her trance.

"Nandini!" Manik's concerned filled voice made her raise her head from the file, she had been holding, to him. "Are you okay?!"

"Eh, yeah. But the cover..." sighing, she lifted the broken piece of the cover. " It's broken. I need to replace this." Placing the file on the chair, she stood up with the intention to leave the room but stopped when he came in her way.

"Calm down first." his gaze lowered to her hand and lingered there for quite a few second, for he wasn't really convinced that her hand was unscathed. "Is your hand okay?"

"Yeah-" she nodded, showing her hand. "absolutely okay. So, I'll just go and bring a new cover."

She sprinted to the door and in the process tripped on her own foot but like a scene from a movie before she could fall a pair of hand held either side of her arms, stabilizing her. "Careful. What's the hurry! You seem lost and a little disturbed. Something is bothering you. Right?" his voice sounded too soft and warm.

"No, I am fine." she managed to say ignoring the churning feeling in her stomach.

"You don't look fine at all. I have been watching you. What's wrong?" he came in front of her with his one hand still on her right arm. 'Too close.' her mind registered but she didn't bother stepping away. She just didn't want to.

"I am just a little disturbed by last night's incident." she wasn't really lying. A half truth is never a lie after all. That incident had really been bothering her. She had looked around the area the previous night after the incident had taken place. She had found some scratch marks at the back alley walls followed by splutter of blood. She was sure it was a deed of a vampire but what confused her was the heavy unfamiliar scent that lingered around the area. It was neither a human scent nor a vampire.

"It's going to be okay." his hold on her arm slightly tightened as a sign of assurance. "You don't need to be scared."

"I am not scared." she denied. She believed there was nothing to be scared of, especially when she herself was a vampire. "I am just worried about Tiara. Whatever happened yesterday..." she looked away from him, feeling a little guilty. "I don't even want to talk about it."

"She is going to be okay." he assured.

"Is she?" she doubted, stepping away from him. "I mean you went to the hospital before coming here right? How's she?"

"She'll be okay."

"Manik!" she gave him an incredulous look.

"Fine. She is not okay-" he blurted. "at least not for now. She is still unconscious and her attending doctor said that her condition is still not stable because of the excessive amount of blood loss. But she will be okay. So don't stress." his tone softened on the last sentence.

Her demeanor changed in an instant on the soft tone and a small smile made it's way to her lips. "I never thought there would come a day when you would try to assure me. Screw that! I never even thought that we would get along."