9. Shall we dance?

The gathering was supposed to be a small celebration for the huge success of the previous gaming event or so Nandini had thought until she stepped into the gigantic, glassy space and her eyes fell on the people around. Everyone were adorned in their finest attires, most chatting, drinking and some even swaying their hips to the music on the dance floor. It was completely opposite of what she had pictured it would be, not that she didn't like it though.

"Wasn't it just supposed to be a small gathering to motivate everyone?" Nandini asked, suddenly feeling out of place. She was dressed in a plain black knee length turtle neck one piece, nothing extravagant but classy.

"It is." Manik answered with a nod.

"Then what's with everyone.." she trailed off with her eyes wandering around the room. "I mean why are they so overly dressed and what's with the music? Aren't office gathering meant to be on a more formal side? This honestly feels less like an office gathering and more like an actual party."

"It's just how it has always been." he slightly shrugged. "Why? Don't you like it?"

"No, I do. It's just that it's different from all those previous office gatherings I have attended. But then again Ainsoft isn't your average company after all."

"Glad you do know that." his lips curved into a proud smile as he adjusted his sleeves a bit. "Stay here. I'll be back after passing on a few words of encouragement."

She just 'hmm', moving to the drink counter while he made his way towards the stage. He took the microphone from the staff there and as he stepped on the stage, the music came to halt and the lights except for on the stage became dim.

"Good evening everyone." his voice boomed through the speakers present in the room, grabbing everyone's attention. The room filled with people suddenly fell silent. "Firstly thank you for attending this gathering. You all have worked really hard and I am really happy with all of your work performance. I know I have been really strict and hard on you all but I believe I have managed to compensate you all for your hard work. Let's work even harder from tomorrow. We have a really big event coming up. Enjoy the party and-" he paused as his eyes wandered around the crowd. "don't get too drunk. We have work tomorrow."

Everyone clapped as he got down the stage and Nandini heard some girls talk about how stunning their boss looked in the black tailored suit. She dropped her capsule in the soft drink glass that she had been holding as she mentally agreed to what they had said. Taking a sip of it, her face scrunched a bit on the bitter taste. As expected, the capsule had instantly blended with drink and it tasted bitter but less bitter than usual.

The stronger dose of capsule she had made had quite a significant effect. It's effect had sustained by an hour longer and she believed she was slowly adjusting with his enthralling scent, not that it didn't drive her crazy anymore, but somehow she was getting used to controlling herself.

"So how was my speech?" Manik's voice made her look up from her glass.

"Short. Very short." she replied, shaking her glass a bit. "I thought you were about to give at least a lengthy boring motivational speech to make it seem like an office gathering."

"Nah, I don't do that." he shook his head. "No one enjoys a lengthy speech at that. In fact I don't even stay in this sort of gatherings for long. Ten minutes, that's how long I stay."

"So you are leaving?" she asked.

"Do you want me to leave?" he asked back.

"Stay if you want to-" she paused before smiling and adding, "sir."

"You are too-" he exhaled. "leave it. I'll just stay for a while."

He grabbed a drink and leaned against the counter, his eyes falling to the dance floor. The dance floor was crowded with people bobbing their heads and swaying their hips. He never understood as to why people loved jumping in the name of dancing in parties and pubs. Moments later the music changed into a slower music, the lights got a little dimmer and everyone hooted. Seconds later the people present in the dance floor even broke into pairs, probably on request.

"This gives off a romantic vibe." Nandini said. He shifted his gaze from the dance floor to her, suddenly the urge to dance with her kicked in.

"Shall we dance?" he asked in a gentle tone. Her head turned to him and their eyes locked for a moment or so.

"Sure." she agreed as she forwarded her hand towards him. He looked at her hand and his lips twitched upward as he placed his hands on hers. "Let's go."

As they entered the dance floor hand in hand, thanks to her sharp hearing ability, she could hear the whispers of the people around very clearly and that made her a little uncomfortable. But one look at Manik and all her discomfort came crashing down.

They moved slowly to the music, her hands encircled his neck and his hands landed on her waist, drawing her closer to his chest. Their moves were totally not in sync and yet they were just enjoying the moment.

"Beautiful." he whispered under his breath but she heard it, partially because of her hearing ability and partially because they were standing too close to each other.

She looked so mesmerizing under the dim light, not that she looked any less under normal lighting, but he was suddenly transfixed on everything about her, like everything else had come to halt.

"You stepped on my foot again."

"Sorry." he apologized.

But the very next moment his right foot lightly collided with hers yet again and that made her laugh. "There's no point in apologizing if you are going to do it again."

"I suck at this, don't I?"

"You do." she agreed, breathing in his enthralling scent. His scent was arousing and at the same time something she would always want to bathe in but on the condition of not losing her sane mind. "But it's still fun." she added as she stepped a step back and lifted his right arm above her head. Holding onto his finger she slowly twirled around.

Her black locks fell over her eyes as she twirled into his arms and crashed on his chest.

She began to withdraw her hand to brush away her hair, but his hand clutched onto hers. He laid her hand on his shoulder and gently tucked her locks behind her ear. He could see her eyes twinkle in the dim light and her smile widen, making him feel giddy and his already flushed cheek even more hot.

"I think I-" he began only to be interrupted by someone screaming "Someone help!"

"What's going on?" Startled, he turned to look towards the familiar voice source. "Kai." he stepped away from Nandini and rushed towards the door on seeing Kai with a wounded girl in his arms.

"What happened?"

"Call an ambulance. Ambulance." Kai panicked as he placed the girl on the table and people crowded around her.

"Tiara? What happened to her?" Manik hurriedly took out his phone, dialing the emergency number.

"Move away. Give her some space." Harry, one of the employee, said panic stricken on seeing blood oozing out of her neck.

"I don't know. I found her lying unconscious in the back garden. It's seems like something bit her." Kai shrieked, looking at his bloody hands.

"It's her neck." Someone in the crowd said and that caught Nandini's attention. She was still on the dance floor, for she didn't want to give room to the possibility of her losing her senses on seeing blood. She made her way through the crowd and the scent of blood got stronger, making her cover her nose.

Her eyes fell on Tiara's pale figure and the bite mark on her neck. "A fang bite mark." She recognized as she backed away from the crowd. "It's a vampire."