Ch 16- My own spells

Adelaide stared at Snape nervously.

"The reason you are here tonight, Miss Gracia, is because the headmaster has asked me to teach you duelling. He thinks it will be an excellent opportunity to hone your skill which he believes will aid you in the future" Snape said.

Adelaide blinked twice, "Oh, that's great!"

Snape looked at her for a few minutes before turning away,

"I suppose you are ready. To the centre of the room," he said curtly and without hesitation, Adelaide complied.

"Wand out," she pulled her wand out.

"Take three steps backwards from here" Adelaide did as she was told.

"Poised to strike" she lifted her arm, and Snape did the same.

"Let's see what you've got," He said with a small smirk. "Expelliarmus!" Snape yelled.

"Protego!" cried Adelaide.

The red streak of light hit the silvery-blue shield, and Adelaide was pretty confident in her abilities, that's why she wasn't surprised when the spell bounced back and Snape's wand was out of his hand.

"Not bad. You certainly do know your spells, now we will work on the strength of your shield and I will not use simple spells," Snape said.

Adelaide nodded and got back in position.

The next two hours, Snape spent explaining to her how merciless people can be during duels, and how quick you must be. He was a good teacher, if only he had been the same way in potions class, maybe Neville wouldn't make such a mess.

By the end of her class, Adelaide's shield charm was considerably stronger than before and she was going to try out one of her newly crafted spell on Snape.

" Adhæsit " Adelaide yelled.

"Expelliamrus," Snape said.

Adelaide thought Snape had deflected her curse until Snape fell back on the floor, and could not get up despite his numerous attempts.

Adelaide just wanted a review on her spell, and who better than the Half Blood Prince.

"Exsolutus" she stated firmly, and Snape was back on his feet in no time.

"Are you alright, professor? I just wanted to get your opinion on this spell I created-" she started.

Snape raised his hand ordering her to stop talking.

"What was that spell?" he inquired

"It is kind of like Stupefy, but instead of just being blasted off, the person also gets stuck on the surface he lands, and it's permanent unless someone uses the counter-spell." She ranted

"A spell with a well thought out use, it will be of immense use in dueling, if your opponent doesn't know the counter spell. I see what Dumbledore meant by training a strong witch. But as far as I know he is not aware of your ability to invent spells."

"Yes, Professor, you are the fist person to know of it." Adelaide sheepishly muttered.

"You can leave now. Day after tomorrow, same time, same place. Be ready for your next lesson," Snape said as he straightened his robes.

"Thank you, professor. Good night" Adelaide said. Snape acknowledged her with a curt nod.

Adelaide wanted to go to the Gryffindor tower, but right now she knew she couldn't wait any longer she had been putting it off for three years, so she decided to visit a place she had been longing to visit. She was feeling better, and the whole day's miserable-ness seemed to reduce to silly-ness.