Ch 21 - Upset?

Adelaide couldn't sleep that night. She had some sort of instant realization that she had much work to do and very little time. An innocent life was on the line and she could not slack off.

The Gryffindors were partying downstairs, Adelaide suspected Harry must have been back, and the noise didn't die down until midnight. By now Ron and Harry would have had their falling out. She noticed Hermione sitting on her bed, probably thinking and worrying.

An hour later Hermione went to bed. Adelaide pulled on her cloak and climbed out of the portrait hole and went straight to the seventh floor. She walked past the plain stretch of wall thrice, and her practice room opened.

She hurried inside, and noticed that the journal she had left on the table, the last time she had used the room, which was two days ago, was placed in a shelf. She walked along the aisles, took it out and started writing in it .

Adelaide was completely unaware of the time and her surroundings, seeing her new spells working flawlessly was exhilarating but it also consumed much more energy, ugh, she had to work on energy conservation now!

Ooo, Adelaide mused, never thought I will use a terminology I learned in Grade 7 in physics for dueling.

When Adelaide woke up, she found herself lying on a big fat hardcover book. She got up and massaged her stiff neck, as she wondered what the time was, and as if on cue, a clock appeared on the table showing -7:15. It was seven-fifteen in the morning, breakfast must have already begun.

Using the disillusionment charm on herself, she ran all the way to the Gryffindor common room. Luckily, she didn't have to reveal herself to the Fat Lady, as the portrait swung open when she reached there. Ron climbed out, looking sullen and angry. Adelaide didn't have the energy nor the conscience to deal with his jealousy right now, but being the good friend that she is she had to play the 'mediator'

"Ron," she called lifting her charm.

"Where did you come from?" Ron said spinning around on the spot to look at her.

"I was just disillusioned," Adelaide said. "Going down to breakfast?"

"Yeah," Ron sighed. "And don't ask me where the Great Harry Potter is. I don't know and I don't care," he snapped.

Adelaide groaned, her resolution to try to be nice snapping instantly, "Ron, you should go have breakfast. Eat something, clear your head. I still have to freshen up. See you in class,"

And with that, she hurried upstairs.

Hermione wasn't in her bed either. Adelaide quickly changed and went down to the Great Hall. She looked up and down the Gryffindor table but didn't see Harry or Hermione, then she remembered that they would be taking a walk near the lake. She went up to the Gryffindor table, summoning a goblet, and filled it with pumpkin juice.

Adelaide was so preoccupied with her thoughts that as she walked out into the grounds, she almost didn't hear Cedric call out to her, she would have smacked herself if he wouldn't have been present there.

"Hi Ced! Wassup?"

"Oh, nothing of much value, what about you; you know with Harry becoming the Champion and all that?"

"Ced, you do know that Harry would never enter by himself, and if you don't then please believe me" Adelaide replied softly

"Yeah right"

"Oh come on Ced! Well I actually have a really important job to do right now, I'll see you later"

"Oh, yeah! Uhm, bye Adele my friends seem to be calling me see u later." He replied walking away with disappointment all over his face.