Chapter 4: Protesting Against Snape

"…and so my official name actually is Harry Mark McGonagall, and until last spring I didn't know any different." He added with a smirk, "So legally, I wasn't lying when I said my last name is McGonagall."

Harry was explaining the details of how he'd been kidnapped and adopted to Hermione.

"That's truly amazing," said the girl. "It's also a brilliant way to keep you safe. Only one person in Britain knew where you were, and she's not the one anybody would guess."

"And no one would've guessed that I was in America," Harry added.

"And they still don't know you're at Hogwarts."

"So now that you know, do you think you can forget?"

"No, but I can help you stop messing up." She took a deep breath. "Most of the clues I had were from spending so much time with you, but some things, like the pain in the shape of a lightning bolt on your head, were easy to spot."

"I don't know why I have that pain, but what can I do about it?"

"For now you can pretend that it's your whole head and not just that small area, and we can start making note of every time you get the headaches to try to determine what is causing them. There's got to be more to it than just being at Hogwarts."

"I know. The first time was at the opening feast just before Snape tried to read my mind. At first I thought it was part of the attack, but the headaches don't just come when I'm around him."

"We were in Professor Quirrel's classroom the last time it happened. Have you gotten the headaches in any other classrooms?"

"No. I mean Snape tries using Legilimency on me in his class, but I don't get a headache from forcing him out of my mind. It's actually a bit amusing."

Hermione furrowed her brow in concentration. "So it happens in Professor Quirrel's classroom and in the Great Hall, where he's eating. Has it happened any place that he wasn't at?"

"No, now that you mention it. I wonder why that is. Do you think he could be up to something?"

"I'm not sure what that means, but we should keep an eye on him."

"Maybe I'm just allergic to whatever that smelly thing is that he keeps inside his turban," suggested Harry, chuckling.

-HM-HM-HM-

The next morning at breakfast, Harry and Hermione were sitting with Padma and Penny when a Gryffindor prefect with red hair walked up to the table. Hermione was asking Penny how she liked being a prefect when she was interrupted.

"Hello, Penelope," he said pleasantly, completely ignoring the younger students near the Ravenclaw prefect.

"Hi, Percy isn't it?" He nodded. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"Why, yes there is. There is a Hogsmeade visit this Saturday, and I ask that you would do me the honor of allowing me to be your escort?"

She blushed slightly. "All…all right. What would…"

"Splendid. I'll see you then." He turned around and walked away without another word, leaving her speechless.