Chapter 18: Who Knows What?

He picked up the shining, silvery cloth off the floor. It was strange to the touch, like water woven into material. A note fell out of it as he did so. Aunt Minnie picked up the note. Her face paled as she glanced at it. She absently passed to note to Harry, who looked at the narrow, loopy writing he had never seen before.

"Your father left this in my possession before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well.

A Very Happy Christmas to you, Harry Potter."

"Someone found me!" Harry declared, not sure if he should be scared or not.

"Maybe they just sent an owl and got lucky," suggested Brianna.

"No, Harry," said Minerva. "Long ago, I performed a spell to make owls recognize you as Harry McGonagall and not Harry Potter. Otherwise you'd have been found almost immediately by someone simply following an owl. No one can find you that way. Even if that weren't true, it wouldn't matter in this case. I recognize that writing, and know who sent this to you."

"Who?" asked Cindy.

"Albus Dumbledore."

"WHAT!?" shouted everyone at once.

Minnie sighed. "He told me that he was going to dedicate himself to finding the Boy-Who-Lived, and it looks like he has."

"But why did he send me a present and not just show up here?" asked Harry.

"That's a good question," agreed Mark. "What do you think, Aunt Minnie?"

"I don't know, Mark. I'm surprised he didn't send aurors here to arrest me for kidnapping."

Cindy asked, "How could he? He kidnapped Harry, too. If I'm not mistaken, the legal procedure would've been taking him to the Ministry and letting them decide who his guardians would be."

"I can imagine who he'd have ended up with then," said Minerva. She shook her head. "Dumbledore is up to something. He must have known I'd recognize his writing." She sighed in resolution. "I'm afraid that I'll have to leave so I can have a talk with him to see what he wants."

"No, don't go, Aunt Minnie," pleaded Brianna as everyone expressed similar sentiments.

"I'm afraid my mind is made up. This matter has to be settled. I, for one, do not wish to spend the rest of the holiday worried about this. I'll mirror you when I have news, and I'll return as soon as I can."

"I know how they like to maintain appearances, so I'll drive you to the airport," said Mark, shrugging his shoulders.

She turned to her brother's son. "No, that won't be necessary just this once. I don't want you to spend Christmas driving in Chicago. I shall apparate there. It's not illegal to do so. Your government just doesn't want to attract the attention of muggles, so they prefer people traveling to and from the airport by muggle means. However, you only get in trouble if you do it more than twice per year. Happy Christmas, everyone."

She then left the room with everyone staring after her. Obviously trying to change the subject, Cindy asked, "What did Mr. Dumbledore give you, anyway?"

Harry looked at the shining, silvery cloth in his hands for a moment before saying, "It's some sort of cloak."

"Then, put it on," commanded Brianna eagerly. "I've never seen you wearing silver before."