Chapter 19: Suspicions

Although Harry hadn't attacked Malfoy in the Slytherin common room, that didn't stop him from being angry and glaring at the Death Nibbler every time he saw him. When Draco noticed this, he glared back, but didn't do anything to him.

"That coward doesn't have the guts to say what he thinks to our faces," Harry muttered after Draco and his goons walked off to class after they'd traded glares.

"Of course not," said Hermione. "He knows you'd kill him."

"Creevey taught him how easy it is for anyone to beat him up," added Padma. "Too bad his black eye healed," she commented. "He looked much better with it."

"In any case, Harry," stated Hermione, "You've got to drop it. Stop glaring at him."

"But he said…"

"He said he's not the Heir of Slytherin. He's just a pathetic little boy who can't keep his mouth shut," interrupted Hermione, "and is not worth our interest."

"Fine," Harry agreed, and resolved not to glare at Draco anymore while Hermione was watching.

-HM-HM-HM-

The next month went by quickly, and January turned into February. On the first of the month, right after one of their study group meetings, Ginny, who had seemed back to normal after the holidays, said, "Don't forget about our bet this Saturday, Harry."

He grinned at her. "Don't worry. I'll be ready to take those five knuts from you after I catch the Snitch."

She defiantly looked him in the eyes. "In your dreams, McGonagall. I'll expect full payment before I go to the party in Gryffindor tower after I catch the Snitch."

"I agree," replied Harry with a slight grin. "If you catch the Snitch, it will be in your dreams."

"We'll see about that," she said smugly before turning around and leaving Harry with Hermione and Padma, who were working on homework, in C.A.R.E. headquarters. Harry chuckled to himself and pulled out his Game Boy.

-HM-HM-HM-

Harry worked exceptionally hard during the Quidditch practices that week because he really wanted to prove he was the better Seeker. It wasn't a grudge match – he was friends with Ginny and that would stay the same no matter who got the Snitch – but he just wanted to win and knew that she did, too. Neither one of them was going to be easy on the other during the game, and he was actually looking forward to the match.

On the day before the game, Michelle, the Ravenclaw captain, asked him to stay for a minute after practice, so Harry had Hermione leave without him.

"Harry," the seventh-year girl said. "You've been really working hard this week."

He blushed at her praise. "I just really want to win tomorrow's game."

"I heard a rumor that you've got a bet going with the other Seeker," she commented with a smirk.

He swallowed as his ears turned pink. "Um, well…"

"…and that you made the bet before either of you were on the teams. Harry," she added, sounding amused, "I'd hate for you to lose the bet, so make sure you don't."