Chapter 1: Rose Garden

There are fairy tales often told in times of princesses and knights. This is one of those tales, but there are no real princesses nor knights. But there is a noble lady, Aristelle of Philia, a woman who loves nothing more than to dance and love with all her being. There is her childhood friend, Cassian of Palmon, a noble of similar status, a protector, and a foolish man. There is a prince, Prince Aurelius, a curious young royal who is nothing but honest, perhaps even to a fault. Finally, there is an orphan, Reeves Erland, a servant who rose the ranks of class through his master.

This story begins in a garden, lined with roses of all kinds, a place warm and bright with barely a breeze to sway the leaves. Mother Nature had blessed the place as it was greatly loved by its caretakers and their owner, the Duke of Philia. The soldiers had finished their morning routine of the day and were now resting amongst the rose garden.

There was talk amongst them about the daughter of the Philia house. An oddball princess, some would say, she preferred betting a game of chess with soldiers over afternoon tea with fellow nobles. A barefooted princess, they would continue, as if she were a rare creature newly discovered–unpredictable and free-willed. Although the soldiers would complain of the strange princess, they never seemed to speak ill of her.

It was Reeves Erland's first week transferring to this particular section of soldiers. He was young compared to his peers, but he was able to make his own place amongst them. He was yet to meet the rumored princess.

But Reeves was also a bit of a strange person as well. He would read romance novels, often suggested to him by his sisters. He was not interested in the reality of that sort of story, but he read them anyway. Others would feel embarrassed by its contents, but he cared little for the opinions of strangers.

He sat upon stone steps leading to the training field reading a book while the others spoke of their usual conversations.

Suddenly a hedge nearby rustled. Reeves closed the book quickly before reaching for the hilt of his sword.

Then a girl fell through, with her silky dark hair tangled with branches and leaves. She wore a dark velvet red dress adorned with gold lace which shone slightly under the sunlight.

Reeves' eyes met hers. As if time had slowed its course, he could see his own reflection in the pure chocolate pools of her eyes reflecting back at him like a mirror.

Unable to find his voice, he did nothing but stare. Was this the rumored barefooted princess?

The silence was broken when another voice called out. "Lady Aristelle!"

"Pleasant day hm?" The girl said unprompted, properly curtsying.

Reeves bowed, hesitantly so. "Yes, quite"

"Lady Aristelle, slow down please!" A young maid walked behind her before freezing upon the gaze of Reeves and the other soldiers. She then positioned herself beside the girl she had called Lady Aristelle, greeting the others with a curtsy.

"Milady," said another soldier nearby. "Lost, perhaps?"

"I'm embarrassed," replied Lady Aristelle in a monotone. "I have been searching for Princess Vanilla Bean."

"Pardon?" The soldier furrowed his brows with confusion.

"Naughty cat, that one," mumbled Lady Aristelle. "Has anyone here seen that devilish white furball?"

"The bench near the kitchen," said Reeves. "I passed by the kitchen earlier and saw her underneath the benches."

"Ah, thank you." The oddball princess prepared to take her leave before stopping in her tracks. She turned back to him. "My name is Aristelle. May I ask for your name?"