Chapter 4: Meeting with Royalty

The castle was busy that morning with anticipation of the coming guest. No one else was more nervous than the duke himself. Although it was customary of him to meet with the royal family during events, this seemed different. After all the young prince was of a marriageable age with interest to visit his very own daughter. Of course, she was going to have her childhood friend, Cassian beside her, but still, he couldn't help but feel anxiety about what kind of connection they would make.

He started to wonder to himself, did his daughter make such an impression on anyone like this before? She was a little on the odd side, but never did he think his daughter would have an interest in a future with another man. But this was the prince, although it would mean great things for the future of the Philia house, it would come with a responsibility. It wasn't like they were of such significant influence other than in the army...

"Father?"

The duke leaped at the disturbance. It was Aristelle looking at him with her round moon-like eyes. "Yes dear?"

"Are you alright? You seem a bit pale..."

The duke quickly tried to ease her concerns with a smile. "Everything is fine, I'm just a little...preoccupied." He looked around briefly and saw that it was only them two. He looked squarely at his daughter. "Aristelle, do you have in mind um...marriage at all?"

She answered quickly. "No, why do you ask?"

He felt himself sigh in relief for a moment, but he shook his head, no he must be a father in times like these. "You're at that age already, I just hope you're prepared with the possible influx of uh...you know...curious suitors."

Aristelle crossed her arms and raised a brow. "Who will ever ask someone like me?"

As if fate wanted to tease her, the question was brought up later again. It was late breakfast that Cassian had invited himself to. It was quiet until he offered conversation.

"Do you seek to be involved with politics?" Cassian asked as they chatted over breakfast.

"Not really," said Aristelle. "Why do you ask?"

"I mean, it's the prince we're talking about here," continued Cassian. "An association with royalty would inevitably mean we will be watched by the public. And um... rumors may happen."

"Speak clearly Cassian," said Aristelle.

"They will ask about your relationship with him." Cassian expression is shadowy. "What if he seeks marriage with you?"

Aristelle put her utensils down. She took a deep breath. "I'm not an ambitious person like you are Cassian." She laughs dryly. "And who on earth would be interested in me? I'm far from what one would expect in a noblewoman." She holds up a hand and begins to count. "First of all, it's too boring to sit around and chat about politics. Second, I prefer the company of a cat–" She grumbles to herself. "Even if she prefers men over me..."

"You're not interested in marriage?"

Aristelle gives up on counting her fingers. If anything, she seemed irritated at the question. "I don't desire such a thing."

But Cassian did not seem convinced. He took a moment before returning his attention to his meal.

X

"Soleil!" Squeaked two children, a boy and a girl, running through paths in the garden. But there was no movement that responded in sight.

They screeched louder. "Soleil!"

"Rwar!" Shouted a louder voice.

"Ahh!" The children leaped at the shout. The boy toppled to the ground. Where did that come from?