Chapter 3: An Invitation

It was an ordinary day at the Palmon residence. The Duke of Palmon was also quite ordinary. He has a duchess and two sons. He has inherited his residence from his parents before him who have both now retired to the humble countryside. He had his fair share of troubles of course, the very first was the rebellion of his first son at the age of only sixteen, took a horse and traveled to find the ocean.

Although the others often looked back at the incident as interesting and memorable of the Palmon residence, his son's influence on the younger generations had taken its lead.

"Cassian!" Aristelle ran towards him in the castle much to her maids distraught.

"Aris hello--oof!"

She had engulfed him in the ruffles of her dress with her bear-like hug. They fell to the ground unceremoniously stacked upon each other. "Did you get an invitation?"

"Ow...invitation?" Cassian rubbed his head before coming to his senses. "Was this greeting really that necessary?" He found himself enraptured by her chocolate eyes, glowing like a full moon.

"What?" Aristelle crossed her arms over her chest and raised a brow at his reaction.

He turned away. "Nothing, Christ are you trying to kill me? What invitation are you talking about?"

"From the crown prince, Prince Aurelius," said Aristelle, removing herself from Cassian and sitting down beside him. She reached into her dress and pulled out a letter with the royal emblem.

"What kind of invitation did he send you?" Cassian lifted himself to meet Aristelle as he received the letter.

"Afternoon tea at the Philia house. He mentioned that he invited you too," said Aristelle.

"Young master, it was the letter from this morning," said Herman, Cassian's family head butler. He had been standing nearby the two for who knows how long.

"Good morning, Herman!" Aristelle said cheerily.

"Good morning to you too, Lady Aristelle," said Herman. "Young master, would you like the letter?"

"Yes please," replied Cassian, handing back Aristelle's letter. He then stood up before dusting himself off. He offered a hand towards Aristelle.

She opened both hands to ask for his other hand.

He complied and pulled her up. It was just like they had always done as children, an exchange between friends instead of the proper elegant stand for a lady.

Aristelle watched as Cassian received the letter.

"Oh, it really is from the prince," said Cassian, surprised at the royal emblem at the front.

"Like I've said!" Aristelle said. "Maybe we could do some shopping for something nice! After all, it's the first time we'll be meeting him in public."

"Shopping?" Cassian couldn't put a finger on it, he was upset with the idea. But it was Aristelle, he would never decline something they would do together. After all it was his brother who often took them on such adventures... He shook his head from his thoughts, why would that matter now?

"Cassian?"

"Yes? I mean, yes, let's do that," replies Cassian, still slightly lost in his thoughts.

Aristelle studies his face for a moment before shrugging it off. "You still have training today, right? I want to come too."

"Are you going to rob those poor soldiers again?" Cassian asked begrudgingly.

"No! I mean that sounds fun, but I'll be good," said Aristelle. She then added under her breath, "Maybe."