Some Kind Of Wonderful

It had been two months since the last time she could even look at the headset and game. There was something she missed about the way it felt in there but something deeper in her that didn't want to go back until she could walk the walk that Kosuke was talking. Fighting for a brighter future, a romantic notion in and of itself. He made heat rush to her cheeks. So she did what she could to make her dreams come true.

Teaching Woodseth, training in hand to hand combat, piloting mission simulation. Whatever she could do to improve her odds at making it and showing her father with acts that her way if thinking wasn't simply nonsense. Six months. Six more months. So long she had to dig into the code and read what happened the last time she donned the headset. She was more than confident before she went in, but the unknown is often scary even when you prepare.

The light filled the small room she was given and Makenzie opened her eyes, listening to the birds chirp just outside her window. She was excited all day in her lab, trying hard to to focus on working on Woodseth. She sat up, looking out the window and folding her arms over her chest. It was nice to once more be surrounded by his unique sent. A bit of her sweat mixed into whatever he was at his core.

She couldn't help but to shrink her head down a little, taking in a deep breath of the fresh laundry laced in the fabric. Sitting in the quiet of the room she felt like she was able to relax. The door slides open and she excitedly looks behind her. "Momo I... Oh." She looked down to her lap, her hand playing with the blanket on her. "Minami-san. I'm sorry I suppose I was expecting her smiling face to greet me."

"It... Is a nice thing to see in the morning. I guess my presence is just a disappointment." He walked to the side of her bed, getting onto his knees. "I thought I should introduce you to the other generals of the men. If you're going to be here you should meet them. You are staying, right?"

"Well, I don't have anywhere else to go. But I won't be a bother." She shook her head. "If it is too much, the-"

"It's not. There is also the chance that if I let you go he will just find you again." His even tone wavered when he spoke vaguely about Hibiki. "It seems so unfair, to pluck you from your life like this."

"What life...?" She nervously chuckled. "I couldn't even get a man interested in me, remember?" She pushed the blanket off of herself, rolling up his pants on her leg to look at the soiled bandages. Makenzie was taking off the old to put on the new herself before he took over for her. She looked to him and his eyes locked with hers for just a moment. "Can't cook, my father was a blacksmith so all I know how to do is work that isn't taken seriously if done by a woman. I'm also stubborn and hot headed. Awkward around others. That's not really an attractive feature in a woman."

He started to wrap a fresh bandage on her leg, Makenzie unable to help but look at him while trying to curb her expectations. She's felt this way for him for a long time, it deepened some during that time but it has only been days for him. "Well that is just not true. There are men that have eccentric tastes in many things."

Her lip fell slightly opened, looking to him in surprise. After a moment she shook her head, playfully smiling. "Did you basically just say I'm a mess but I shouldn't worry because there is a guy out there who would be turned on by a mess?"

She saw his smile softly play on his lips and she chuckled. "Yes." He teased her a little, before looking into her eyes. "But I would be remiss if I didn't point out that, Makenzie-Chan, you are unbelievable beautiful. Objectively speaking." She looked into his eyes, he placed a hand on her knee. "Your leg will be better in about two weeks, I am guessing."

She eased, knowing just why the man changed the subject so quickly and her eyes moved down to the hand on her leg. It was hard enough keeping her stomach in check with his comment, no matter how factual his tone was. "Then you can put me to work."