I Want to Understand

Sewing was surprisingly easier than Makenzie thought. The patterns she was given were simple and with her background in science and math, she was able to create her own quickly. A cloak with a hood, darker colored green and under it a very eastern styled dress with stockings that were black and ran down to her feet, weaving into whatever sandal she was going to wear. It was darker purple and blue, sleeves falling past bent elbows. She slipped it on, looking at herself in the mirror then to her hair. Would he notice if she were to cut it? Shaking her head she looked at her body. She'd come a long way since her leg was hurt. Momo opened the door with a smile. "Good morning! Oh!" She blinked, looking to Makenzie in the mirror. "Wowie, Makenzie-Chan! You're beautiful."

"I... I'm not but thank you." She looks down for just a moment. "I'm just so excited about today. Minami-San... Training me to shoot."

"Are you happy to learn to shoot or happy to see him?" She covered her mouth, snickering as Makenzie retreated back into herself. Was it that easy to see? Or was it the programming? She was nervous about seeing him now that she knows how he can learn.

"A little of both. Your brother is kind to me and I enjoy how straight laced he is." She looked back to the mirror, fixing her hair. "So you came to try to tease me? Or is it breakfast that you're worrying about?"

"Breakfast." She shook her head. "But teasing you was fun. Ya know... my brother is dense, right? You'd have better luck with someone like Ren. He likes you." She looked down, thinking about how certain she was that he did. He was programmed to, just like Kosuke and the others were. She saw the look in her eyes and nodded. "So you're giving up a sure thing for a fleeting feeling? That's rather brave. You don't give up, do you?"

"Never." She turned to her. "Not in my nature to give up. But no matter what I have to be who I am, it's that person that can't look at Ren and like him in that way. Even if your brother... takes a look at me and knows he will never feel a thing past respect."

"Bold to admit it." The girl giggled.

"Today is the day." She nodded. "I'm better, on my feet and useful. If I told him I like him before today, it would have looked like I was only saying it to... stay here. I'm not that kind of woman." She sighed. "Besides, It's probably for the best if he rejects me outright. I promised I would marry you, after all." She walked to her, pinching her cheek. "I'm not going to eat this morning. Momo-Chan, have a good day."

It was a beautiful day, which was a blessing. The last few times she played it was raining. Walking into the training area her eyes wondered over the trees waving in the wind. The target range was empty, or so she thought. A bang was heard from it, forcing her attention fully on the man in white, pointing a gun towards the range. It was a rifle and she knew ones like it well in her other life. She paused, shaking her head at the phrased that had popped up in her mind. Other life. No, this was all hers, this was apart of her and like her mother said she was not going to give up. Another bang, louder this time as she reached him on the range. He dropped the barrel of the rifle and then took his finger off of the trigger. "You're here. I've waited a while."

"I'm sorry, I was getting dressed." She found herself looking into a deeper set of eyes than she was used to in these lands. "Oh... Good morning."

"Dressed?" He looked to the rifle with his brow furrowed, a rather perplexed look on that face of is. "It felt like so much longer than it would have to just get dressed. I feel like I've been waiting here for days..." He shook his head, looking to her. "Not that... It took you that long I just feel like..."

"Your sense of time is warped?" She watched him nod and instantly she felt awful. He was aware of a time now beyond this existence, she should have run right to him instead of being scared of it all. "Minami-san... Before we start, can we talk?" She watched him nod, then she ushered him with her to sit on the side of the range, in the soft grass. She looked to him then, with her emotions all scattered like the trees in this wind. "I... Have to tell you something. It's something important. Minami-san, I like you." It was funny how that was the easy thing to say. "I like you a lot. In fact like you so much that I can't do this the normal way."