Intoxication

"Honey! Are you sure this is wise?" Her mother spoke with a nervous tick, her index finger tapping lightly on her purse as if they were actually going out somewhere. Makenzie rolled her eyes, looking at the woman who took the time to do her hair, but still had on a comfortable sweater and what human civilization for the last fifteen thousand years considered 'mom pants'. "I mean your father... isn't..."

"And I don't want him to be." She reasoned with a level head. "Can you imagine dad in a VR headset?"

"He's worn one before dear." She counter almost with a triumphant smile.

"To a game?" Her eyes squeezed in confusion as her mother seemed to be thinking.

"Well, we live on a space station. There are times when it is beneficial for us to get away from it all. We can't quite have the exciting life that millions of others get. Vacations are needed. And oh... boy do I love vacations with him. A beach program... the setting sun and a drink in our hands. All to make decisions and choices that lead to a very relaxing night." Makenzie stopped for a moment, looking to her mother with her mouth ajar. "Hey, how do you think we were blessed with you?"

"Mom!" She called out, holding the headset and almost chucking it away in disgust. She gathered herself, doing her best to ignore little comments like that. "That is... so inappropriate. Please don't embarrass me tonight."

"Oh! I'm sure your current infatuation will understand how the birds and the bees work. This character is an adult, right?" She seemed concerned for a moment, which only made Makenzie shiver.

"Oh, Gross. Yes mom. He is. He is also not my 'current infatuation', thank you very much."

"I'm just saying, dear you've had many boyfriends in these games over the years." She crinkled her nose, perhaps judging her a little.

"No, I haven't. I've played through stories with romantic subplots and undertones." She shook her head at her mother as she motioned for the older woman to sit. "They were never something I would call a boyfriend. More like watching a play and wishing that one day you could relate to that. Oh. Don't mention any of this to him." Her mother looked confused, for good reason. Makenzie had yet to tell her of the improvements she made on the code. It was going to be a surprise. She always praised her so well over stuff like that. "And Woodseth will be there, if anything, you like him, right?"

"Oh course I do. He's your best friend and I was so proud when you presented him to us. Uh, dear don't mind your fathers temperament of him. He can quite so often be a stick in the mud." She put on the headset after Makenzie handed it to her.

"Why do you think I was so happy when he canceled?" She spoke through her teeth, then moved to her own set up, sliding on the headset.

"Oh, look at me, I look younger." Her mother was looking at her hands, Makenzie having left the game off with her avatar the marketplace near their base.

"Yes, mother. It's a filter. They want you to fit in with the game. I also did your clothes." She smiled at her mother in a yukata, the woman having difficulty moving. "I told you that you didn't have to worry about your looks."

"I wanted to make a good impression. That includes feeling my best and the easiest way to do that is to look my best. Even if they can't see it..." Her daughter rolled her eyes, but sort of understood. "So... this is where you spend most of your time...?" She looked around at the people and the swords just hanging casually off of some patrons of shops. "A little barbaric, but you do love exciting stories. Is this the game I bought you?"

"Yes mother, and it's not barbaric here. It's actually sort of peaceful. The headquarters is a little ways a way though. I think you will find it quite beautiful." She starts to lead her towards the road. "I think you will like Kosuke."