Chapter 4: The Team

University "La Sapienza", Rome, Monday 28 september 2026.

Professor Giovanni Rossi had just ended one of his lessons for the course "General Relativity" of the Master's Degree in Physics and he was going to his lab in the university's physics departement in order to continue his researchs. Being a nerd and above all a scientist, he was fascinated by the portal to the fantasy world and he was very curious about how it was opened.

  "If the civilization who opened the portal is a medieval one it must be magic who created the portal", thought Giovanni.

"And if magic is real we could improve our knowdlege about the reality and maybe discover new laws of physics", thought again Giovani.

"However, there is still the possibility that another civilization more advanced than us opened the portal without the magic thing", Giovanni finally thought.

Suddenly, his stream of thoughts was interrupted by a familiar sight...

"Lucia Bianchi, nice to see you. What are you doing here?", said Giovanni.

"Hi Giovanni, nice to see you too. How are you?", said Lucia.

"Fine, I heard that you are working with the governement about that portal thing...", replied giovanni.

"Yes, and that's the motive why I'm here today. I heard that you are an expert in studying wormholes and things like that... The italian governement is forming a team in order to study and explore the world beyond the portal so we would appreciate your presence. Obviously, you will be well paid and we will provide a substitute teacher here at the university", Lucia explained.

"Thanks Lucia, I accept the proposal. It's an honor to be a part of the first human expetidion to another world. I think that if we will understand the nature of the portal we could learn how to create wormholes and starting exploring the universe or perhaps even parallel universes!", said an excited Giovanni.

"Perfect, come to Capeccio tomorrow and here you will meet the team. I will tell you the details later", eneded Lucia.

Capeccio, tuesday 29 september 2026 06:00 am.

Giovanni was listening a song by Lucio Battisti, one of his favourite italian singer, when he arrived to the entrance to the forest near Capeccio, where the portal opened. In the forest's entrance there was a parking where some people where waiting for him.

"Hi Giovanni, we were waiting for you. Allow me to introduce you to the rest of the team..", greeted Lucia.

                                                                        THE TEAM

Giovanni Rossi: age 27, physicist (male)

Lucia Bianchi: age 27,  anthropologist (female)

Sofia Luciani: age 30, medic (female)

Matteo Rubini: age 29, biologist (male)

Anna Mattei: age 28, linguist (female)

Sandro Gennari: age 30, historian (male)

Luca Solini: age 38, italian army colonel (male)

Enrico Costini: age 30, mechanical engineer (male)

The team is also composed by 8 regular soldiers for a total of 16 people. There also are  4 Iveco Lince and a supply truck.

Iveco Lince:

(the image is not mine)

"Before going here you all signed a confidentiality agreement and I hope that anyone spoke about this to his family", said the colonel with a serious face

"We have cut down some trees in order to clear the way for our vehicles and the couple that discovered the portal told us that beyond the portal there is a forest with a pathway that barely fits our vehicles", said again the colonel.

"We are also blocking the roads to this parking in order to avoid the press  and curious people as you have noticed before coming here", explained the colonel.

"Well, enough with talking and let's go! The portal is about 1 km away. I hope everyone told his family and friends a valid excuse in order to come here", ended the colonel.

"I told my family that I was called abroad to conduct some urgent reasearches", said Giovanni.

"Good, I'm happy to hear that!", said the colonel.

Some time later...

"So, the portal is finally here", thought Giovanni.

"So, another world is waiting for us", thought Lucia.

"It's really like a mist but very transparent and thin. Normally, no one would thing that a wormhole looked like this", thought again Giovanni.

"Okay ladies and gentlement, let's go!", said the colonel.

*So, the meeting between two worlds is finally about to begin. What do you think will happen? Write a comment if you want me to know.