My Side

"Where have you been!" Elizabeth asked me in a frightened state.

"I just went for a walk."

"Everyone has been looking for you."

"By everyone, do you mean you?"

She opened her mouth to answer but hesitated.

"That's what I thought." I said, and turned around, putting my back to her.

I opened up my dresser and pulled out a dark grey tank top and a pair of black spanks.

I stripped, not caring that she stood there, and got redressed in my comfy clothes that I would wear to bed.

"Why does it matter so much that I was gone?"

"Because you were gone all day."

"I was?" I asked and stood up right. Looking out the window, I noticed that it was indeed dark outside. How was I out for that long?

"Yes, and we have never been without a leader for that long. They might hate you but you're the person that everyone turns to for guidance."

"You've never gone a day?"

"Well, when Alex died, we did, and it was chaotic."

"Will these people even listen to me? I mean, I didn't mean to, but I kind of killed their beloved warrior."

"You didn't mean to. And there wasn't anything you could have done about it. Plus, that was two months ago. They have quieted down since then. I promise."

I looked at her uncertain.

"What do you want me to do?"

"I need you to speak to them."

"But what if they-"

"They won't go after you. I've already talked to them and most of them want to talk to you. Maybe hear your side of the story."

I sighed and looked down at the floor.

"I don't know Liz..."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about Brandon. I've already talked about him today."

"How? You were in your room with no one else and then went on a walk. You stay away from everyone."

"I went to the school, and accidentally ran into Derek." I said hesitantly.

Surprise lit up in her eyes.

"You saw Derek? He still lives there?"

"Yes, he still lives there."

"Does he know..."

"About the baby? Yes, he does."

She looked like she didn't know what to say. And maybe she didn't. I didn't know what to say either.

"He told me he loved me." I whispered.

She looked up at me quickly.

"He what?"

"He told me he still loved me."

"And what did you say?"

"I-I told him I couldn't do this right now."

"What'd he say?"

"He asked me why, so I told him that it was too soon after losing the father to my own child to be doing anything."

"I'm guessing he wasn't too happy."

"No, he wasn't. and the worst part of it was, I just turned my back on him and left him standing there, alone, and didn't even look back."