[14]A Memory Turned Nightmare: Nuka-World

===================================================

The next morning, early at around 6:30, CJ wakes up and finds himself sitting in a feeling so out-of-body he doesn't know what to do with it. He lays on the stiff mattress in the far right corner of the Grille and stares at the ceiling, wondering how long it's going to take for him to clear out the Galactic Zone. He wonders if this plan is even going to work. He wonders if Aila's arm is okay from getting stuck in that metal door in the Gauntlet. He wonders if he's going to see Nate again on good terms. He wonders if this place is changing him.

He wonders- he wonders- he wonders.

He wonders if his body will obey his commands today because he cannot afford to be stuck up in the back of his mind while Aila and Mac are stuck dealing with the Galactic Zone.

The teen blinks heavily, smelling the plastic-burnt air of the Grille while he takes a deep breath and twitches his fingers, just to feel them, and feeling them is a weird thing for some reason. Being here, on this mattress with Aila on the one next to him, is a weird thing. It feels like existence is bent and he's sitting here like some pebble stuck in time while everything else is doing their own thing. It feels like a privilege and a curse.

Weird.

CJ sits up and it feels heavy, but he looks around the room and takes another deep breath. He spots their resident merc sitting on a stool at the center island counter, head bent over his arms as he sleeps with his back bent. Yikes, the crick in his neck, I'm sure.

The teen removed himself from the shabby bed, immediately jolting a little when he put pressure on his left arm. He hastily pulled his arm to his chest, taking a breath, "fuck me, dude." Tenderly pulling his blue sleeve back up to his elbow, he sees a couple dots of red on the bandages that wrap the savage bite mark on his arm. The whole area aches, a dull, and heavy ache.

Man fuck getting bit, that is the wrong kinda apocalypse.

"Something wrong?" CJ's shoulders jump where they are and his attention magnetizes towards MacCready, who's staring at him from his spot at the counter.

"Uh, no. Just the usual 1st day after getting decked." CJ takes a breath and stands, snuffing his nose at the whiff of burned garbage from the old-metal trash can in the lobby. The action causes a flare in his bruised nose. "Fuckin' reeks." He joins MacCready at the counter, setting his head in his arms.

"If the wasteland is so cooked that it's dry then... why does it get so cold at night?" MacCready ponders with a yawn. CJ half-shrugs.

"I dunno. God hates us, I guess."

"Nothing new."
"Nope."

They sit there in the quiet for a moment, and CJ allows himself the calm before whatever storm today. He sits and thinks about what the G-Zone is gonna look like 200 years after the end of the world, trademark. He secretly hopes the old rocket ride is still operable. Man CJ loved that thing last time he went. Rode it twice over. Maybe this time he can speed up the ride manually. He always wanted to.

After they cleared the park of course.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Galactic Zone. The most sprawling and complex park in the entire 9,743 miles that Nuka World sits in. With so many twists and turns and tunnels, The G-Zone is an easy place to get lost in. So much so, that it was one of the top spots that parents and children showed up in the security office looking for each other in the U.S.