[15]A Memory Turned Nightmare: Nuka-World

[15] A Memory Turned Nightmare: Nuka World

===========================================================================

Not so many minutes later, CJ was picking the lock to a door not far from where they were standing and dragging Aila up the concrete steps. The pipes following the stairwell were, of course, a wreck. In a similar shape, was the room on the other side of the sliding door they found at the top of the stairwell. Debris everywhere with only one working terminal. Along with a few red-glowing panels that quickly grabbed CJ's attention.

As the teen went to investigate the glowing panels, two to be exact, he hears Aila typing away at the panel from behind. "Pre-war stuff?" He asks without turning, running a couple of fingers down the side of the red panel, somehow warm with the buzz of online technology. Odd. It certainly didn't stop CJ from pressing deft fingers against the sides of the panel, unlatching it from the space it was attached to. With a grin at his find, he proceeded to grab the second panel in the room when Aila finally looked up from the terminal she was reading.

"Yeah, just... people talking about a few malfunctions in the place. About new bots coming in due to unsatisfied customers. That stuffs." CJ just hummed and scanned the room again for anything he wanted to have. "What're those- oh, you found some Star Cores."
"Heh?"

"Star Cores," Aila told him, slower, as if he were a child. Which he wasn't. Not really. "The things we need to power Star Control to rewire the defense systems in all the 'Trons in here?" CJ actually might've heard the words, but as soon as they finished passing through her lips, he'd completely forgotten about them and what they meant to mean put together. Most likely because there was an itch on the back of CJ's neck that told him he was missing something. A hand on his elbow drew his attention back "-you get any of that?" Eyes still scanning the room, CJ was about to ask her to repeat herself when his whole body moved forward, like a newly powered robot.

"There!" He reached out and snatched up the keyring on the console, "Okay, I'm sorry, I'm listening now." Aila shot him a look of raised eyebrows and dumbfounded eyes. It was then that CJ realized he probably looked stupid jumping out of his stupor.

"What just happened?" She asked with a stilted laugh. "You stood there for like, 3 minutes."

"...3 minutes?"

"Yuppers," Aila nodded in assent. "3 whole minutes, maybe a little more."

"Huh," was all he could really say to that before passing Aila the Star Cores and taking the route back down the concrete stairs. CJ's ability to zone out when his gut was telling him something will never cease to amaze him.

MacCready was standing on the other side of the door when they returned, giving them sweeping glances when they both returned. "Find anything for that room over there, or are we gonna have to throw a rock at the glass?"

"Throw a rock at the glass," CJ grinned, but the keys he was still holding said otherwise when Aila swiped them from his loose hands and headed towards the door.

"No, you won't."

"Yeah, okay I won't," he agreed amicably, eyes locked on the sheer amount of goodies inside the ticket-sales room. He could already see a Nuka-Quantum glowing on the counter on the far side of the room, just out of arms reach if one were to try and stick one under the glass. Unfortunate. However-.

With the click of the lock and the door slid open just as easily with the key.

CJ was on the Nuka-Quantum in seconds, scooping up the bottle and shoving it in the knapsack on his back, "Hehe, score for me." Until his eyes zeroed in on the safe just next to a bunch of filing cabinets, and then he got really giddy. "Oh my god. Oh my- Aila."