A Little Overprotective

It was a rainy day outside, winter just approaching. It was cloudy and dark, even though it was only the afternoon, and the sun hadn't set yet.

It was the afternoon before the license exam.

Astrid Aizawa walked, arm linked with Shoto Todoroki's arm. He held the umbrella, and in his other hand, a bag of groceries. They walked close together to avoid getting wet. And also because it was chilly outside.

Astrid also carried a bag of groceries – It was their turn to go out and buy stuff to stock the fridge with snacks and all.

As they walked back towards campus, people glanced at them. Astrid could hear their whispers over the rain.

"Oh my god!" A girl whispered to her friend, "Look! It's Shoto Todoroki – He's so hot!"

"I know," the girl's friend whispered back, "how did someone like her bag a guy like him. I mean look at her! What does she have that we don't?"

"I could make a list," the other giggled.

Astrid could see Shoto's eyes narrowing in her peripheral vision. He turned his head to the girls, watching them, then looked down at Astrid, planting a kiss on her temple. "Ignore them," he murmured.

"I know," she whispered.

A little boy squealed. "Mommy look! It's the Illusion Hero: Vision! That's EraserHead's daughter – The girl on TV yesterday!"

The mother looked down at her soon, "That's nice honey-"

"Can I go say hi?"

Astrid looked up sideways at Shoto, who sighed and smiled back, taking the bag of groceries from Astrid as she spread her palms. Red mist swirled down her arm, eyes glowing red and hair floating around her shoulders as if she was underwater.

The mist shot out and flew around the little boy and he clapped and giggled, grinning. It made his mother smile too.

He squealed as the mist took the shape of a dragon and spewed mist-made flames around. Then it flew around the boy's head.

"I think it likes you," Astrid smiled at the boy, her and Shoto moving towards the boy. Astrid crouched in front of the boy, Shoto holding the umbrella for her. "What's your name, kid?"

"Alexi," he said slowly, in awe of the young hero before him.

"That's a cool name," Astrid smiled.

"Thanks! One day, I want to be a hero just like you! You saved all of those people yesterday and barely even had any trouble, you're so cool!" He went on rambling his reasons.

Shoto watched Astrid play with the boy, eyes softening, a little smile playing on his lips. She was so kind, so gentle.

After a few minutes, the boy's mom thanked Astrid for her time and laughed as she ushered the boy away.

Astrid stood, "The kid kinda reminds me of Midoriya."

Shoto smiled, "Yeah, he does, doesn't he."

And just like that, they started walking back to the dorms again.

"You nervous for tomorrow?" Astrid asked as they walked up the main pathway towards the dorms. Only about another minute.

Shoto nodded, "Yeah... I just don't know what to expect, I guess."

Astrid sighed, "Just keep your guard up." She told him, shooting him a sideways smile, "And try your best. I'm sure you'll do great."

"Mhm – By default, you're obligated to say that," he teased.

"Oh I'm serious, Icy-Hot." She smiled, pulling him into a tight hug. "I have no doubt that you will do great."

They walked through the door into Class 1-A's dorm room.

Shoto folded the umbrella and put it away while Astrid took the groceries into the kitchen, passing Kirishima who was stretched out on the couch, completely sound asleep. Bakugo was sprawled out on one of the other sofas, along with Kaminari who was half asleep across from him.

Astrid smiled, though deciding to leave them be for the time being. She started to unpack, loading the refrigerator and cabinets. She finished in a minute, the same amount of time it took for Shoto to figure out how to unlace the new high-tops Astrid had insisted he buy a few weeks ago.

She'd loved them so much because they were a mismatched pair – One shoe a light baby blue, the other the same red as Shoto's hair, and with opposite laces.

She finished unpacking. Kaminari was sitting up now, rubbing his eyes.

"Long day?" She asked, filling up a cup of apple juice that he'd specifically requested they buy from the store, and bringing it over to him.

He took the cup, "Yeah... Mr. Aizawa worked us pretty hard this morning, but then Bakugo made us look over strategies and techniques." Kaminari said quietly.

"Trust me," she whispered in return, "It'll be useful. I can assure you."

"Shut up, New Girl..." Bakugo murmured, cracking an eye open. He was still more than half asleep.

Astrid smiled slightly, "Go back to sleep, Bakugo."

"Don't tell me... what to..." And then he was out again.

Kaminari sat back on the sofa, sipping his apple juice as Astrid went to go grab a snack. She pulled out a bag of chips from the cabinet and opened them as quietly as she could.

"What do you think's the plan for dinner?" Shoto asked, voice quiet as he walked over behind her.

"Dunno, I think Mina and Sero are in charge of that tonight," Astrid said, pulling out a chip and popping it in her mouth. She pulled out another one.

"Mm... So does that mean we get to order takeout? Preferably soba?"

Astrid let out a quiet laugh, "Maybe, I don't know-" Shoto took the chip from her hand and ate it.

"Hey!"

He shrugged, smiling sheepishly. "Didn't look like you were going to eat it."