𝟎.𝟐 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝.

CHAPTER 2.

The air was calm, not even a feather would cradle its self to the ground. The street her brother lived in was quiet, completely deserted. The morning sun was shadowed behind rich, marble, grey, coloured clouds, that hid a crown of rays. 

Keeping caution that anything could happen, she prepared herself for the unexpected. She swung her rifle onto her back and took out a knife, taking out the nearest walker that clawed Hannah's window. 

She kicked the back of the women's knee and struck the blade into the soft, flesh at the bottom of the skull. The women collapsed onto the ground, Hannah gave Echo a thumbs up to get going. That was all Echo focused on was getting to her family, and praying they were still alive. Echo jogged over to the small blue-coloured home, that had a small, half-destroyed garden in front. It was a typical adorable 90's house. Echo halted in her tracks when she reached the porch's steps. She never expected to be seeing the same small walls that she stayed in. It was once her uncle's home, but he was arrested. Of course, Myles renovated the home, making it brand new than the shit hole her uncle made it into. The rocking chair on the porch rocked gently back and forth, with the gentle breeze.

Echo raised her fist against the door. With hesitation, she knocked on the door, three times, and hard. She heard footsteps shuffle over to the door. The door swung open quickly, and she locked eyes with a familiar face. He was almost unrecognizable. Myles, her brother looked older, more lean, sharp jawline, icy blue eyes, and messy black hair.

Myles's breath hitched and he froze. Echo's eyes watered, when a little girl came to the door, pushing her father slightly over. The little girl was cute, she had her father's eyes and her mother's features. She had braided blond hair and the most innocent face a child could possess.

"Aunty Eazzy!!" the little girl squealed in a blissful voice. Myles widened his eyes and shushed her. Echo knelt down and held out her arms, tears escaped her eyes. Her niece jumped into her arms and gave her an iron grip, and hug.

Echo hasn't seen her family in four years, she missed so many Birthdays and Christmas with her niece, Breanne. Breanne was ten at the time. Myles was silent and gave a small smirk. He moved to the side allowing them to walk in. Myles had bags packed at the front door, Echo picked up Breanne and squeezed past Myles and the bags. She still couldn't believe Hannah didn't want to show her face to Myles. It was like she was ashamed and scared of him. Myles wouldn't hurt anyone unless he had to.

"You were the last face I expected to see today," Myles said in awe taking Echo into a tight embrace, hugging her as if it was the last day on Earth. Echo's breath shuttered, her muscles relaxed and she gave in to the hug.

"We couldn't save the city. I couldn't save them. But I can save you three." Echo said in guilt. Myles immediately caught on to where she was going with this. Guilt was like a dance partner to Echo, full of emotional indifference.

"You can't save them all. They were planning to nuke the city, but instead, they sent you to save a city that has already fallen. You did all you could, Echo." Myles replied to Echo.

Echo let go of Myles and gave him a nod, "But I'm not going to let it happen again." she said in a determined voice.

Echo looked at all the bags packed at the door, it was very few. She knew Myles did well about not taking anything that wasn't necessary. She sighed in relief, she made it in time, before they decided to leave.