𝟎.𝟒 𝐀 𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER 4.

With a welcomed amber glow, the sun starts to set in, with fresh colours of orange, gold, and pink brushed against the sky like an artist's canvas. Myles took that moment to pretend as if the world was still as beautiful as the sky. A silhouette dusted itself towards the parked vehicle. 

Myles stepped out of the car, shading his eyes from the light.

His eyes gazed upon Echo, she carried a jerrycan along with a couple of other possessions. Echo jogged over to Myles with quick intentions. The muscles in her legs burned, the trip was long and far. And she made it back alive.

Echo didn't want to risk returning to the darkness.

Myles reached over to the jerrycan, Echo stopped him.

Echo un-hooked the Machete sheath from her belt and handed it to Myles.
"Hold on, I got you something." Echo whispered, with a generous smile.

She passed him the blade. Immediately a small smile formed from the corner of his lip.

"I saw the way you fidgeted with my blade earlier. You were afraid of the distance between you and the threat, now that problem is solved." Echo passed by her brother, who was completely in awe. 

She forgot to tell Myles that she manages to scavenge engine oil, but it was getting too dark. Darkness started to creep in from afar, making it difficult to see. With more than half of a tank of gas, Myles, Hannah, and Echo switched seats.

Hannah sat in the back with her daughter, Myles in the front, and Echo as the driver. Myles continued to take deep drags of his cigarette. Echo kept the car at a decent pace, in case if anything came out and surprised them.

Echo uncapped the water with one hand and drank back a few sips.

"How much further to finding this inner sanctum you told us about?" Myles questioned with impatience crawling through his sentence.

"Not much further." Echo replied. Then she saw flames of bright orange off within the distance. The road was blocked by a collision between a couple of cars and a semi-truck. Up ahead was the Military base, why was there always a barrier between her and her goal? Echo stepped out of the car, turning on the flashlight she kept in her front pocket.

Myles followed her quietly, not allowing his movements nor the door to wake up Hannah or Breanne. Echo climbed the latter on the back of a semi-truck. First, the scene hit her like an oncoming car. Her heart stopped for a second, her palms started to sweat. Gunfire echoed through the country, and the stench carried on like a thick poison.