𝟏𝟎. 𝐄𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬

Chapter 10.

Echo stood in a crouched position avoiding her window at all costs

Echo stood in a crouched position avoiding her window at all costs. She gripped her blade tightly as if her life depended on it. At the moment, she watched as more walkers strode, slowly, towards the barn, that was up in flames. Even though Echo never believed in religion, she hoped someone was watching above. And somehow she would make it out of here alive. She carefully listened to the growls throughout her room. There were too many in the fields and too many in the house. Echo licked her chapped lips and started to make an escape plan. But how? She knew she was stranded on top of a roof, while more started to pile into the yard.

The stench of death met her nose, like a toxic cloud. Her nose scrunched up, and she felt her stomach twist. Most would believe that she was used to the stench, but she wasn't. She was a Sniper, she would stick to her Crowsnest and watch her team's back. But it was an exception when they sent her as backup into the city. 

Getting out of here with one blade was an odd chance of survival. But she was willing to make it work. After all, she stubbornly chose to stay back and fight the dead, buying them time to escape.
Maybe she should of went with her brother and shouldn't have lashed out at him. Her eyes searched for a way she could safely get down and make a run for it.

There were too many in the front yard, but what about the sides? She started to crawl to the left side of the house, by shuffling in a very odd way, almost like a crab crawl. She didn't care how awkward it looked, it worked.

Three walkers roamed around the side of the home, near the dirtbike Myles fixed earlier.

The growls continued to get louder, she snapped her attention to the front of the home. She leaned forward and caught sight of multiple walkers reaching towards the roof. Thankfully, the walkers on the side of the house didn't catch her scent of her. 

"Never knew I would get a fan club until now." Echo joked. She tried to substitute fear with humour, even though escaping the farm was a serious situation.

She was already dead if she chose to stay and wait it out.

Echo observed the walkers and their movements at the side of the home. Like a pack, the three walkers made their way to the front of the home. There was her chance to get to that dirtbike. She took that chance and climbed silently down the roof. 

Echo gripped the edges of the rain gutter, her legs dangled within the air. Her heart continued to lash out against her chest. Her feet met the ground below her. A thud sound was made, from her weight meeting the ground.

Echo eagerly hopped onto the dirtbike, she held the handle with one hand, balancing herself. She placed her foot on top of the kick-start and pressed her weight on it. Four times, a loud crackling sound was made.