𝟏𝟏. 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐑𝐨𝐰

Chapter 11.

Four months of battling with mother nature passed into a distant memory. Four dreadful months of being always on the run. To Echo, it was ridiculous how the group hasn't found a place they could lay low for a while, without the dead lingering and roaming the area.

Echo's head felt heavy, she could barely concentrate. Occasionally, when the group showed concern by asking if she was alright, she would shake it off with a lie. It wasn't right for her to lie to the group, even though she refused to let them down.

Rick on the other hand became distant toward's Lori. Deep down, she felt left in the dark. She showed moral concern for him, but the conversations with him never went anywhere. She decided to take a step back and gave him some space.

Maybe it was the weight of keeping the group alive that affected him. And the constant paranoia of keeping Carl and Lori alive. She couldn't blame him, it was something that she developed along the way.

The soil beneath her boots quenched the morning rain. She gripped her blade and stealthily approached the walker from behind. Echo, Daryl, and T-dog took out the first three walkers that occupied the yard of a pretty old home, that was isolated out in the country. She followed Rick on his heels as the group rushed inside the home. 

She aided Rick in clearing out the walkers that roamed in the entrance. Echo continued through the home and came across a long, opened closet that Rick had his eyes on. She took the lead and slowly searched the long, but narrow closet. 

The shelves were cleared out and the items that remained held no value. Rick followed on her heels, while that uneasy feeling began to grow in her stomach. Her eyes studied the door she came across. She began to listen closely to the creaks of the floor, seconds after she stopped, the shuffling on the opposite side of the door came to a halt.

Echo exchanged a quick look with Rick before reaching for the handle. With hesitation, her fingers hovered over the golden colour, door handle. A fire began to crawl through her veins, she ripped the door open.

A relieved sigh escaped her lips when it was only Daryl.

A small smirk formed on his face, and he lowered his crossbow. She stood there in silence, occupied only by her thoughts.

She turned away from Rick and Daryl, independently, and curiously, searching the whereabouts of each room. Carl continued to search the cluttered counters of the kitchen. His gaze snapped away from the counter and over to Echo. She quietly began to search the kitchen, her nose scrunched when she came across the opened fridge.