Chapter Twelve

Present Day

Being detained at B.O.C.A isn't half bad. The room he was put in that first day is clean, has a decent bed, and a small bathroom. Meals are dropped off three times a day with a stack of magazines and books to read. It is definitely the best place he has rested in the past few years. He might just ask to stay, if he survives this interrogation. He sits in front of two men. One is extremely pretty with high cheekbones, long dark hair pulled back into a French braid, and a friendly smile. The other isn't pretty but he is handsome. The scowl on his face doesn't detract from his handsomeness, it just highlights it somehow.

"Is this good cop, bad cop?" he asks, just needing to fill the silence.

The scowl morphs into a smirk, which is unfairly sexy for the situation Jared is in.

"More like bad cop, worse cop. My name is Xue Yang and this is my partner Xiao Xingchen. We have a few questions for you and we expect you to answer them truthfully."

Jared rolls his eyes at the dramatics of it all. "Of course."

"Let's start with something easy," the pretty one, Xiao Xingchen, says. "What is your name?"

"Jared Rutgers." As soon as his name leaves his lips he is doubled over in pain. It starts in his jaw and works its way downwards. "What...is...happening?" he gasps.

"Think of this as a lie detector with a painful twist," Xingchen says, holding up his hand. A silver ring glints off his pointer finger. "When you lie all you will feel is that pain and it gets worse with every lie you tell."

Jared sits up straight once the pain subsides, letting out a shuddery breath. His whole story is built on lies. He doesn't have the training or the constitution to withstand pain like this for very long.

"If I cooperate, can I get a deal?"

"If the information you give us is useful we can discuss a deal," Xingchen says.

"Jared Rutgers isn't my birth name but it's the name I've gone by for over 20 years. When I was younger people called me Henry."

When no pain comes he lets out a sigh of relief.

"What is the date today?" Jared asks.

"The 21st," Xue Yang says.

"Daiyu, my employer, is expecting a dropoff of three unmated omegas on the 23rd by 5pm. I'll be given the coordinates for the drop when I check in. If I don't check in by noon tomorrow our contract is void and Daiyu moves on to the next extractor. I have never missed a deadline in the three years I have been working for Daiyu, but I haven't always produced the exact amount requested."

"What happens when you underproduce?" Xingchen asks.

"I take a significant pay cut, but Daiyu calls on me a lot because I always deliver something. Is this information useful enough for a deal?"

Xue Yang and Xingchen share a look. "We need to consult with our director."

***

"Xichen this is the opportunity we have been looking for," Xingchen says after they have explained what they learned from Jared to Xichen, Mingjue, Wuxian, Wangji, and Wanyin.

"I know you are proposing that we send in an undercover agent, but we don't have any unmated omegas working for B.O.C.A. right now. We can't send in a civilian," Xichen says.

"Xingchen isn't suggesting that, but we do have an omega that can pass as unmated," Xue Yang says quietly, looking steadily at Jiang Cheng.

"I'll do it."

"The hell you will!"

Jiang Cheng turns to scowl at an extremely pissed off Wei Wuxian.

"Wei Ying..."

Wei Yings furious gaze lands on their other mate. "If you agree with them I'll never forgive you Lan Zhan."

"It's not that I agree, but we can't dictate what our mate does. I'd like to discuss it with Wanyin but ultimately it is his decision," Lan Zhan says.

Wei Ying makes a wounded noise before pulling Jiang Cheng onto his lap and into a tight hug.

"Please baobei. Lan Zhan and I can't be there with you. Please don't do this," Wei Ying pleads.

"Let's give them a few minutes alone," Xichen suggests, getting up to leave.

Lan Zhan kneels down before them, letting one hand rest on Wei Yings knee and the other on Jiang Cheng's back.

"Xian-ge, I can do this," Jiang Cheng mumbles against Wei Ying's shoulder.

Wei Ying runs his hand through Jiang Cheng's hair. "I know you can, baobei. I know how strong and capable you are. But it doesn't stop me from wanting to protect you...keep you safe."

Jiang Cheng pulls back so he can look at Wei Ying. "You will protect me and keep me safe. Once I identify who this Daiyu is, B.O.C.A will sweep in and arrest them. We can't let this opportunity pass us by."

"Aiyi, A-Cheng. There is so much that can go wrong before you identify Daiyu. You might not emote our bond anymore but if they do a physical examination you can't hide that you've had children. You have to promise to not do anything rash. Think of our children," Wei Ying says.

"I know you weren't thrilled when I applied to work at B.O.C.A, but this job is what I've always wanted to do. Plus I'm good at it. I continue to do this job because of our children. To protect them from the assholes in this world," Jiang Cheng says.

"You are the best tracker B.O.C.A has, but I'm still scared. I'm going to be brave and not live in fear."

Jiang Cheng wraps his arms around Wei Ying's waist, sighing when he feels Lan Zhan's arms go around him.

"We love you, Wanyin. You're our mate, husband, father to our children, and our omega. Forgive us for worrying," Lan Zhan offers solemnly.

"There is nothing to forgive. Even when Xian-ge's and my tempers run hot you keep a cool head and we have learned over the years to continue communicating so we don't have any misunderstandings. We respect and trust each other. I love you."

After sitting for a few minutes to compose themselves there is a knock on the door.

"I will let them back in so we can formulate a plan," Lan Zhan says. He gives each a kiss before getting up off the floor

No one comments on Wei Ying holding Jiang Cheng on his lap the whole duration of them making a battle plan.