Chapter 8: The House of Lies

Perry

The moment I climb into Alan's SUV, I am treated to an inquisition about my sullen attitude. I ignore Alan's questions for the most part and decline dinner entirely when we arrive at home.

The rest of my night was spent in the woods tracking an unknown demon before returning to my room, thinking about the encounter with David. It made me recall our entire history together. The time we spent growing closer is first and foremost in my mind.

The thoughts are draining. I feel myself drift off after a while as my eyelids droop. I turn on my side, allowing myself to finally close my eyes and succumb to the darkness.

I find myself standing in the middle of the site of David's attack. The feeling of being separate from body is overwhelming. It feels as if I am weightless, possibly floating.

The sounds of the night invade my ears. I begin to fly through the forest with little effort. A flare of energy brings my attention to the gigantic shack a few miles from the park.

The shack is called the Domus Cecidit, or House of the Fallen. The shack was once a mansion if my grandmother is to believe. It was the home to a long line of powerful witches as far back as the 1800s. The Domus has remained standing, even in its state of disrepair, out of reverence.

My being comes to a stop as I stare through one of the broken windows of the shack. A tanned woman with long, curly strawberry blond hair stands in the middle of the room, wearing a dark blue hooded robe with large black moons sewn into the fabric.

The woman waves her hands in the air, chanting in a language I can barely understand. She speaks the words, "Mali repellere a sanctis nostris" which feels familiar to me. The phrase is stuck in my head. It feels like the meaning of the phrase is just below the surface of my mind, clawing its way out.

A shift makes me feel as if I am someone, or something, else. I watch the woman beyond the window before appearing at the front door. The door explodes off its hinges as I move forward.

The woman's eyes grow wide as she lifts her hands, casting me aside. I watch from the floor as she stares at me with disgust.

"He sees through you." The woman says.

A bewildered expression replaces the disgust as I jump from the floor and find myself standing beside her. My left hand reaches out, revealing a small tattoo with Chinese lettering just above my wrist. The feeling of my teeth shifting in my mouth is followed by the sensation of biting down on something juicy.

The woman screams out as blood splatters the nearby walls.

I scream out in horror as I sit up in my bed, trying to catch my breath. A dark, cold feeling lingers in my chest as I try to put everything together.

My mind begins moving again as I realize I am still wearing the clothes from last night's patrol, with mud caked onto my sheets.

Panic sets in as I jump from the bed and discard the muddy clothes in the hamper in the corner. I strip the bed of the soiled sheets as Penny calls up the stairs for me.

I rush over to my phone on the end table and check to see I am already late. I notice text messages from Eva, Charlotte, and Nate in our group chat as well as individually. David makes a notable appearance in my inbox as does Alan.

I scroll through the notifications, reading different social media alerts. A notification for an invite to a house party follows the text message alerts. I snap out of my non-verbal debate about how to find a way to attend before rushing to discard the muddy sheets in the hamper with the muddy clothes.