Chapter 22: Into the Shadows

Perry

The vampires disappear completely. No one, including the group of girls that sigh at the mention of their names, has seen the twins since they left Jason and I in the hallway.

A strange feeling hits me as I head down the hallway towards the locker rooms. The feeling is cold and foreboding, so naturally, I head towards it.

I am the Zion, after all.

The football team has already hit the field to practice, so the locker room is relatively empty. The locker room is a foreign place for me, despite all of Alan's suggestions for me to join the team.

His acceptance of me being homosexual changed his perception about wanting me in any locker room. A pity, too, because I changed my mind around the time he did.

The smell of jocks permeates the room. Rows of yellow lockers are separated by small wooden benches all leading to the showers near the back of the room. As I venture further, the lights shut off, leaving me in pure darkness.

I stop in place as Lucas' voice pierces the darkness. "I told Finn you'd figure it out. He was so sure he was being inconspicuous." Lucas says.

"You've been hitting on me for months, so how about you come out here and give me a kiss?" I say.

I notice a mop in the corner under the sparse lighting. Something moves behind me in the darkness. I can feel them moving in the shadows, just out of sight.

"No slick comeback? No lecherous come on? You're disappointing me, Lucas. How old are you pedophiles, anyways?" I ask. "You're not afraid of little old me, right?"

"We don't want to fight you, Perry." Finn's voice comes through the darkness.

"Funny. I wouldn't want to fight me, either, Finn." I say.

A low growl comes from the far side of the room. "I don't know, brother, I want to see what he tastes like." Lucas says.

I can feel the twins standing in the darkness head of me. Terror washes over me as I feel like their prey for the first time. My heart beats quickly and it feels as if I am going to pass out.

I close my eyes tight, inhaling, as my awareness spreads throughout the room. Finn moves quickly in the shadows to my right. A jerk of right wrist opens a locker, knocking him off his feet. Lucas moves around the other side. My left hand raises to the mop, and it flies into my hand. A swift swing of the mop takes him off his feet.

"Conversus in luminaria!" I chant.

The lights flicker on as I pin Lucas to the ground with the hard tip of the mop. Lucas stares up at me with a devilish grin and I breath in, feeling the horror melt away.

"You were saying?" I ask.

Finn stands a few feet away. "Wait! Please, we wish you no harm." He says.

"Really? Cause I swear Lucas wants to drain me."

"If I wanted to do that, I'd have killed you by now." Lucas says.

The mop twirls with another flick of my wrist as the wet end of the mop splashes against his face. My eyes land on Finn, who nonchalantly sets what appears to be a broken nose. The crack is enough to reverberate through my bones. It feels like someone tapped a single bone in my body and the feeling travels all the way up to my mind.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"To help you. Bad things are coming to Solstice Hills looking for the Zion and the dagger." Finn says.

Lucas moves the mop out of his face. "Nice going. Did you ever think of not spilling everything we know?" He says.

I take a step away from both vampires as Lucas stands. My fingers clutch the mop as the brothers stand together in front of me. The feeling of danger is not as strong as it once was.

Finn's confession of knowing about the dagger catches my attention first before I realize he has called me the Zion. The vampires know more than they let on, which unnerves me. The two could have attacked me at any time but chose not to. It begs the question of what they truly want.

"I'm sorry, I have no clue what dagger you're talking about. Or what a Zion is." I say.

"Sure. Next, you won't know what a witch or magic is." Lucas hisses. "Listen, we know what you are and we know about the dagger. Someone is here looking for said dagger. Ergo, we need to work together to make sure they don't get the dagger."

"Why would I trust you?" I ask.

"If we wanted to hurt you, or your friends, we would have done it by now." Finn says. "We have a vested interested in keeping the dagger away from...undesirables."

"Vested interest? And who wants the dagger...that I know nothing about?" I ask.

"Who doesn't? You don't know much about the dagger, do you?" Lucas asks. "It's the Dagger of Kassius. The Immortal Death. It can kill anything permanently."

"Sorry. Still don't know what you're talking about." I say. "Now that I know what you are, I can tell you: Stay away from me and my friends."

Finn exhales loudly. "We can't do that. You must trust us. You have my word we won't harm you or your friends." He says.

"I'm not making that promise." Lucas says.

"I'm only going to warn you one more time. Stay away from me and my friends or I'll find this dagger you keep referring to and make sure you meet the pointy end of it."

Lucas opens his mouth to speak when the door opens. Zach, David, and Kevin walk into the locker room, shocked to find us here. David glances between me and the brothers before I turn and walk past the jocks.

I get the sense Lucas and Finn are not going anywhere soon. So, I need to regroup.