Chapter 26: The Reveal

Perry

The notion of venturing into the woods felt like a good idea at the time. Getting out of the conversation with Alan as well as the prospect of slaying the twins led me to dive in headfirst without thinking clearly.

The deeper into the woods I go, the more I start to feel stalked by something or someone. The alert part of me understands something in the woods is watching. Its eyes follow me without pause.

My body stops completely as I come to a clearing. I stand quietly as something approaches behind me.

A quick twirl allows me to raise my dagger to the neck of the watcher. Shock runs through my system as David's wide eyes stare at me over the dagger. My hand is stuck for a moment, unable to move, before I lower the dagger from his throat.

"Perry, what the Hell!" David asks.

"I'm so sorry! You snuck up on me!"

"That's your excuse?! You could have taken my head off, lil papi." David says.

"Did—did you just call me little daddy?"

"I'm testing it out. It's a no?" He asks.

"Uh very much so." I answer.

"Why do you have that? I don't remember you being into hunting." David says.

"It's a long story. Centuries old, I'm told." I say. "What are you doing out here?"

"I—well, I followed you. Your dad came back without you. He said you got pissed and needed time to cool off. I was worried." David says.

"Worried? You do worry now?" I ask.

"After everything that's happened tonight, yeah, I do worry. Is that so hard to believe?" David laughs. "We didn't get to finish our conversation before. I'm starting to think there's never going to be a good time to tell you...all of the things I've been trying to tell you for a while now."

"Things?"

"Perry, I—" David says.

"Precious." Lucas says as he appears with Finn from the trees behind us. "And here, I thought the cat-and-mouse thing we had going was flirting."

A low snarl beside me informs me David does not take kindly to Lucas' taunting. Finn stands uneasily beside his brother. It highlights the difference between the brothers.

"Perry, you shouldn't be in the woods. Not right now. You and David should go back to the festival." Finn says.

"You can't tell him where he can and can't be." David says. "He's right, though, cielo."

"I appreciate the concern, but I'm a big boy now." I say.

"He's right, Finn. If he wants to end up like his guidance counselor, I say we do what we can to help him." Lucas says.

David is stunned by the comment as he pushes himself in front of me. "Is that a threat, cold boy?"

"Relax, David. We didn't kill her." Finn says.

"But you know who did? Who killed her?" I ask.

"Well," Elnora's voice says, "me."

Elnora's voice comes from directly beside me. I look over to see Elnora's smirking face staring at me. She pushes her palm forward, taking me off my feet.

I crash to the ground beside a gigantic log. The dagger leaves my hands, disappearing into the brush. I watch from the ground as Nora, dressed in a pair of excessively tall boots and a leather coat, easily dispatches of the twins and David.

Elnora slithers towards me, moving as if she were sizing me up for the slaughter. Eva calls out beyond the trees as I hear multiple footsteps and limbs breaking beyond the treeline. Elnora smirks down at me as she turns to the source of the noise. As Charlotte, Eva, Nate, Parker, and Jason emerge from the trees, Elnora runs towards them.

I lift my hands, causing an inferno to spring to life between the group and Elnora. Elnora hisses as she turns back to me with veins running down her face and soulless black eyes. She walks back towards me as I raise my other hand, pushing my back against the log. Elnora is frozen in place as the fire rages on behind her.

"Oh my God!" An unfamiliar voice says.

Two people appear from the trees. The comment comes from a girl with piercing green eyes and brown hair with blond highlights. A guy with brown eyes and a jet-black fade stands beside her. My concentration is broken as Elnora breaks away from my powers.

I watch in horror as she appears behind the couple. She snaps the guy's neck before latching onto the girl's neck and ripping into her throat.

Charlotte and Eva scream as Elnora allows the girl to slide to the floor. The girls blood sprays the forest floor as Elnora sets her sights on my friends.

The horror of the sight unseats something within me as my vision blurs briefly. The flames of the fire die as an opaque force tears through the air, knocking Elnora into the tree line where the couple came from.

All the air leaves my body for a short moment before everything shifts back into place. I look to my friends, who all stare at me as if I have three heads.

David rushes to me, asking me if I am alright as Lucas and Finn join us. Their eyes find the dagger at my feet. I reach out and take the dagger in my hand, holding it closely.

The truth is out now.