Chapter 33: Free the Animal

Perry

The speed with which I escaped from my family was noticed. How could they not notice? It was obvious I could not wait another minute to get out of the room.

I text them on the way to the Byars, a local bar and grill a few blocks away from the police station, to get their orders. Porter places his order for tacos while Penny and Alan decline the offer.

The bar is a hangout for many citizens in town, particularly ones over the age of eighteen and twenty-one or with fake driver's licenses.

The entrance of Byars leads to an enclosed row of bars directly ahead along the back wall. The wall behind the bar is full of alcohol bottles, both empty and full.

A patio to the left is filled with high blue and grey tables with matching stools. The rest of the room is a mix of booths and high tables.

I find a table near the door and wait for my order. The walls are filled with old-timey signs. The decor of Byars is surprisingly surreal, though down-home.

The waitress, Anna, calls out my name. Anna has been working at Byars since I was a young child and must be in her forties by now. While her age is slowly catching up with her, the platinum blond dye job has never faltered.

I thank her as I pick up our order. As I am leaving, I bump into someone ice cold. My reflexes work quickly as I balance myself and the food.

"Carbo-loading?" Lucas asks.

I roll my eyes at him. "Oh God, are you following me?" I ask.

Lucas smirks as he points to the bar behind me. "They have the best drinks in town. Not saying much, is it? I'm just as surprised to see you as you are to see me. Especially after your episode in class. I think the whole town got misty, don't you?"

Lucas' reference of the storm rings an alarm. I begin to ask myself how much he knows about me. Lucas watches me carefully and I wonder if I have been quiet too long.

"You can trust me. I don't want to hurt you." Lucas says.

"What about the locker room? I seem to remember you wanting to drain me."

"Taste. I wanted to taste you. You probably don't know this, but I'll be the first to tell you that you smell amazing." Lucas says. "Witches tend to smell better than most other beings, but you smell like cinnamon."

"Gross. Listen, you can ease off the trust. I don't. If I could convince Eva, I would be completely rid of you. Maybe then you and your brother could get the Hell out of town."

"You're like a dog with a bone. Why is it that you want me and my brother gone so bad? I think there's more to it." Lucas says.

"Like?"

"Well, I've been undead for a long time. I know when I have chemistry with someone and we have chemistry. It's why I saved your hot face from being smashed in." Lucas says.

His forwardness confuses me. Of course, he has been forward in the same manner before, but I feel differently about it now. Lucas is handsome and he defended me when he did not have to.

But he is a vampire and I am all but dating David.

"Thank you for saving me." I say. "But in no universe will I ever be with you. In any sense. I've got a boyfriend. I think."

"The jock? You know he's a—"

"Live?" David asks as he enter Byars. "Is this guy bothering you?"

"Yes, because Perry's a wilting flower that needs protection by you." Lucas says.

"Nah, we all know that he can handle himself. I just handle the lightweights." David says. "Back off him. The last thing he needs is to be harassed by you, walking dead."

"Ah! I can't tell if it's 'roid rage or your time of the month, do tell." Lucas jokes.

A familiar growl comes from deep within David's chest, only to be answered by one from Lucas. I warn Lucas he is treading on thin ice and he agrees to leave us alone, warning David about what can happen when he loses control.

David watches him until he is completely gone before he looks back at me. "You should stay as far away from him as possible."

"Yeah, that is what we should talk about right now. Not the whatever's going on with you." I say. "Want to talk about why you growl like a lion now?"

David growls again before brushing past me. I follow him out onto the street, food in hand, as I reach out and grab his arm. Once again, his body softens at my touch as he turns to me again.

"What are you doing? Are you casting a spell on me?" David asks.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Whenever you touch me, whatever I am feeling melts away. Like what I felt before didn't mean anything." David says.

I pull my hand away from him. "You really think I'd cast a spell on you? That's what you think?" I ask.

"I'm sorry. I just—you do something to me. I don't understand everything yet." David says.

David is visibly upset by something. I try to temper my questions as I get lost in his eyes. A small bite mark on his wrist brings my attention to his arm as he slides his jacket down his arm.

"What happened? You know I won't judge you, right? Whatever it is...I'm here for you." I say.

"It was the night I was attacked. I don't want to tell the story because it—it will hurt you. And I don't know if what I am will change what I am to you." David says.

"I'm not going to look at you differently. I already know, David. Why you were there and what happened. I just really need you to say it."

"I am a w—'

"Wuss." Zachary says.

Zachary appears behind David. David turns to him, glaring at him. David's mood has turned yet again, and the crack in his facade has healed itself.

"Of course you are, hanging out with this fag." Zachary says.

"Wow. Attacking me in the hallway and now homophobia? You're going for douche of the year." I say.

"He what?" David asks. "When?"

"If it wasn't for that freak, Christensen, I would have flattened you. Easily." Zachary says. "It's what you deserve, you little fairy."

Without warning, David rears back and punches Zachary so hard he crumples to the floor. The people walking by on the street take notice. Some of the women gasp while a few of the other teenagers pull out their phones.

"Watch your mouth, asshole!" David snarls.

The anger radiating from David is like flames against my skin. His posture and the expression on his face is terrifying. He looks over at me, noticing how affected I am by his display.

David's body stiffens before storms away, leaving me with my food and Zachary's unconscious body. I roll my eyes as I walk away, leaving him laying on the concrete.

"Where he belongs."