Chapter 36: Perry vs. the Patriarchy

Perry

Alan is furious.

A stream of obscenities left his lips the moment I confessed to losing the dagger to our newly cemented Big Bad. He seemingly forgets the twin-pires as well as Porter, Penny and Patricia are present as he unleashes his frustration with me.

Finn and Lucas stand in the corner while Patricia stands with Porter off to the side. Penny joins me at the center of the room, in front of my father.

The stinger is I already feel like a failure for losing the dagger to Tituba and her goons.

Penny tries to calm Alan, but he is on fire as he scolds me for losing the most powerful weapon in the world. Penny fires back at him, defending me ferociously against his tirade.

The argument quickly descends into a blame game. Penny argues Alan's inability to be honest as the jumping point for my failure. The digs get deeper as the two begin attacking one another's family. Patricia enters the arena, beside her daughter, to do battle with lone Renner.

The arguing is overwhelming. The louder my parents get, the more I feel myself detach from the situation. My mind fights to stay connected as my being feels as if it is embroiled in a tug-of-war.

"Charlotte is in danger!" My voice shouts in my head.

My eyes snap shut and a faint buzzing noise replaces the sound of arguing. My eyes open to find everyone staring at me.

"I lost the damn dagger. So, what now?" I say. "You act as if any of you have to go and get it."

Alan is taken aback by my tone. His eyes squint as he speaks. "What're you talking about?" He asks.

"We both know that now that the dagger is in the hands of the big evil, and I have to go get it. So, why are you so angry?" I ask. "Do you think I don't know this is my fault? Do you really, in your heart, think I don't know I screwed up?"

"You saved us." Lucas says. "If you didn't come, Elnora would have killed Charlotte."

"The same Charlotte possessed by Tituba, who Elnora is apparently working for?" Porter asks.

"Doesn't mean she wouldn't kill Charlotte without a second thought. Tituba is controlling her, but I doubt she would waste a moment of concern over Charlotte's death." Finn counters.

"What's important is we find her." I say.

"And the dagger." Alan adds.

"Screw your precious dagger! I'm so sick of the damn dagger and all the mystical bull. One of my best friends is out there, possessed by a centuries old witch. I could give a crap about anything but saving Charlotte." I say.

"After all I've taught you, you still don't get it. Of course we're going to save her but we need to be focused on getting the damn dagger back because the world could depend on it one day."

"Screw the world!" I say. "Screw the world, Alan."

The look on Alan's face is the most disappointed I ever remember seeing him. Penny interjects, asking to see Alan in the kitchen. Alan is about to argue when Penny insists. Patricia smiles kindly as she and Porter follow them into the kitchen.

Finn and Lucas stir in the corner. The vampires have been watching the entire time. If the situation were not so dire, I would feel embarrassment.

"Are you alright?" Finn asks.

"Peachy. Can't you tell." I say. "Have you talked to Eva?"

"I texted her about what happened. She's on her way." Finn says.