Chapter 5: Cloudy Sunshine

Dave Annable as Charles Hardy

---------

You know those days where you just want to go somewhere else? Go anywhere but where you are? If so, you know how I'm feeling.

Well, I don't even know how I'm feeling really. I'm not use to being all down and sad like this. I'm usually all perky and hype; full of pep without missing a step. At least that's who I used to be.

I didn't even want to come to school for once. I knew he'd be there, acting as if nothing had happened that night. But it did. It all happened, and I saw it all. I know that I wasn't just seeing things that night.

When you like someone as much as I like Dean, you'd be able to spot them anywhere. And I knew for a fact, that was him, colliding tongues with that redhead.

That was supposed to be me. That was supposed to be us.

Now I'm just stuck wondering if Dean even wanted to really go on a date with me in the first place. It's obvious that he could have that other guy if he wanted him.

He's obviously older than me. He's somebody who Dean knows well enough to make out with. To make things short, he's the one who Dean wants.

I need to stop thinking about him. It's not doing me any good. But that's kinda hard when the man himself held me after class. Once the last kid was out, he closed the door behind him.

I stayed in my seat with my cheek rested my palm in not boredom, but anger.

"What's wrong with you today?" He asked as he sat in the seat right in front of me. I looked the other way, focusing my eyes on a tree that stood tall in the front yard.

Those are some nice leaves.

"Why are you acting like this Chris?" He asked quieter. This time I sighed, downcasting my eyes.

"Nothing." I lied.

"That's bullshit and you know it. Just tell me." He exclaimed with a small smile that I would've taken nicely any other time, but no.

My anger began to tick down from ten.

"Who was the redhead? Your boyfriend or something?" I sneered, sitting back in my seat and folding my arms over my chest. Sure was angry at him and pissed at his actions, but I was even more jealous. Jealous that it wasn't me on top of him like that. Jealous that he'd rather be with that guy instead of me.

Jealous that he wouldn't even look me in the eye and talk straight to my face.

"Chris-"

"Don't call me that you bastard!" I shot up, pushing my seat back and knocking it over. "You have no right to call me that after what you did!"

"It wasn't what it looked like!" He stood up as well. Even though he towered over me, I wasn't backing down.

"Yeah, like I haven't heard that line before in a trashy romance before. I saw you! Ciara and I saw the two of you making out on the couch!"

"It's not like that. He kissed-"

"You? Is that what line you're going with? Because if so, it's not helping you in the slightest. So what? Was the whole date thing a sham? A way to humiliate me and have a good laugh behind closed doors? I bet it was. And you know what? I bet it was all his idea. I'm here, pouring my heart out to you while you're over there fucking his brains out on his bed somewhere!"

"Chris-"

"I should've listened-"

"SHUT UP!!!" He hollered as he closed the distance between us and grabbed my wrists in his hands. The way he was looking at me kept my lips at bay, clogging up my throat and keeping me from uttering another word.