˗ˏ𝟭𝟬➶˚. 𝐘𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐲 *ೃ・゚

⋆◦⋅𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟺⋅◦⋆

◂ ❚ ⊱ꕥ⊰ ❚ ▸

That very same evening, you were seated on the armchair of the living room, legs dangling on over one of the armrests while your head was rested back on the other one.

You had a box of cereal rested on your chest, as you kept chewing and munching on a couple of handfuls, thoughts helplessly drifting to the young archer.

"Y/N?" Yelena's voice echoed from the kitchen.

"Yeah?" you sat up straight, hugging the cereal box close to you, and looked at your sister over the headrest of the armchair.

"Don't speak with your mouth full," she raised her eyebrows in your direction.

You rolled your eyes, "I—"

"And don't slouch," she didn't let you speak, slamming a palm on the kitchen counter dramatically, "For heaven's sake!"

"I'm not slouching," you straightened your back subconsciously.

Yelena walked over to you, "You'll get the back hunch and mama will have my blood for not correcting your posture," she pressed a hand against your back, helping you straighten up, "Hey!—" you exclaimed when she snatched the cereal box for you.

"You see?" she prodded, "Like that. Up, up," she urged you to sit straight.

"What do you want?" you glared up at her in annoyance, swatting her hand away.

"Hm," she sat on the couch beside you, stuffing her hand into the cereal box, "Ever heard of the theory of 'conflict of interest'?" she brought a handful to her mouth and chewed on the cereal, waiting for you to reply.

"Conflict of what?" you frowned at her.

"Conflict of interest," she repeated, "A situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity,"

"Where are you going with this?" you inquired, already having a vague clue about what she was insinuating.

"You and Kate Bishop," Yelena grinned when a tiny expression of surprise crossed your face, before you hit it, "You see, we came here to kill Barton. Finish it like we always do, go home, get Mac and Cheese, etcetera. This is the 'official capacity' here," she mentioned the word from her theory, "But, you met Kate. You gave her your number. And you have been in touch with her. Even yesterday night you were texting her. This is the 'personal benefit'," she elaborated her theory.

You snapped your eyes to Fanny at the end of the living room, who was eating from her dog bowl, "Traitor,"

Yelena deadpanned at your antics, "In all my years of being your sister, I don't think I've seen you smile so much," she threw a pillow at your face to get your attention away from your dog, "As I was saying," she carried on as though she hadn't done anything at all, "I have never seen you smile so much in all my life, which was mostly spent by being Dreykov's mindless puppet. But, you get my point,"

You hugged the pillow closer to your chest and rested your chin on it, "Shut up, Yelena. I don't like Kate,"

"Ha! So you do like Kate!" your sister pointed a finger at you in triumph, making you groan out loud at your own stupidity.

"I don't know, okay?" you grumbled, "I mean, she's cute,"

"Cute?"

"She thought she could kill us," you scoffed a laugh, "She's adorable,"

"Agreed," she nodded, "So jokes apart," she cleared her throat, "Do you like her?"

"Maybe a bit," you admitted lowly, "Teeny weeny, minuscule crush,"

"Hm,"

"And you don't have a problem with that?" you blinked at Yelena in surprise.

"Why would I?" she lifted her shoulders in a shrug, "I can't control your stupid girl hormones—"

"You're a girl too,"

"Wrong," she raised a finger in defence, "I'm a woman. Whereas you, are a girl. Small baby of the family," she reached forward to pinch your cheeks as she mimicked a childish voice.

"Shut up," you batted her hand away.

Yelena's teasing smile dropped for a second, "But, you won't ditch me, right?" she chuckled nervously, "I mean, you're all I have. 'Cause Natasha is also not there and—"

"What, no, no," you assured your sister, "Of course not. You're all I have too,"

"Hm," your sister nodded, beaming at you, "Okay then. That's enough emotions for one day," she got up to her feet, ruffling your hair up.

You shook your head with a short laugh, not noticing Yelena's pained smile as you reminded her so much of Natasha.

"We take down Barton tonight," Yelena continued in determination, "Dress up so that it's enough to distract Kate Bishop,"

You rolled your eyes at this, leaning back in your place.

"Two birds, one stone," Yelena lifted a finger in punctuation, "One we kill, other you keep," she smirked teasingly, heading towards the door of her room.

"Wait, you actually think she likes me?" you questioned out loud, brows scrunching together.

Yelena slowly turned to face you with a weird look, leaning sideways on the door frame, "I knew you were dumb. But not that dumb,"

≿━━━━━ ❈ ━━━━━≾