Chapter Sixteen

Subtlety was not an issue for whatever was rampaging my way. It wanted me to know it was coming. Perhaps it got a thrill from the pungent odor of fear.

I scented sulfur and ran away from it, towards the scent of water. Ahead I saw a small ravine, man-made near the highway, one of those built to keep it from overflowing in severe weather.

I could use some severe weather right about now. I thought of the drawings I had done as a child. I have loved weather catastrophes for a long time. The thought of a violent storm had not been relevant for so long but maybe I could use those thoughts now to my advantage.

I picture one of my favorite drawings of a tornado, the details becoming clearer as I lose myself to the memory. The murky clouds clashing together, causing thunderous booms and formidable lightning strikes. Wind so fierce the trees were bent in arcs or snapped at the base and tossed heavenward. A molten snake-like funnel of fury just about to touch down to wreak havoc is at the forefront of the drawing. The speed of the tornado evident in the path of destruction left in its path. I concentrated hard on all the little details of the drawing, and I felt the wind start to blow on my face.

As I open my eyes I can barely see. The wind has kicked up so much dirt and debris that visibility is limited to about two feet in every direction. The rain is pelting down in whichever way the wind rages. My childhood picture is now three dimensional. To the left I can see the actual tornado heading our way in its zig zag pattern. The remains of a building are strewn along the ground with the remaining piece flying straight at...the most amazing being I have ever had the joy to behold.

Still in the same t-shirt, now torn by branches and showing ragged cuts along his well defined pecs, I see the hottie from the convention center. He saunters toward me in a way that has my lower parts getting warm. Sexy is the only description my young brain can come up with. I fight the urge to run to him and rip the rest of his shirt off. If this is what dragons look like, we are all damned....

Before he can catch my eye, Mr. Kalb's words come flooding back to me. I look down immediately. Apparently these creatures are appealing to werecats also. As I watch in horror the wooden shrapnel flying through the air hits him from the side, knocking him into a tall pine tree. As he lay there not moving I saw two of his muscular goons come quickly to his side.

As one stands watch, the other shifts. Before me stands the most magnificent creature I have ever witnessed. As he unfurls his wings he stands more than seven feet tall. His wings are an electric blue that deepens to sapphire as the color travels down his body. His scales are in shades of indigo and deep violet. He is breathtaking. The muscle bound creature picks up the fallen leader, lets out a terrifying screech, and takes to the skies. In an instant he is gone from sight.

My new enemy has dark hair, braided down his back, and a face so sharp it looks forged in steel. He has a scar over one eye that gives him the look of a well seasoned warrior. His black t-shirt was tight and cut in a V neck. His very presence made my mouth water. He stared toward me and I imagined the tornado taking him into the abyss.

The roaring sound came so swiftly he didn't have the chance to evade. The ferocious funnel shaped twister hit him like a freight train derailing over a cliff. The spot where he had once stood was now empty, the tornado dissipating mere feet from me.

The air calmed and the rain ceased. I could no longer smell sulphur, but I did not let down my guard. I let my breathing return to somewhat normal and sat down to take it all in.

Apparently, my childhood drawings were an insight to what power I would have. I would need to do a lot of thinking and practicing in this area. Thanking the goddesses for the knowledge of my gift at such a time was heartfelt, my gratitude in being the chosen one growing.

I walked back over to where I had dropped my phone, knowing I needed to check in. I had thirteen missed calls and texts. One missed call was from Abe, I am sure his father had told him what was going on. The whole incident had lasted only seconds although it had felt like decades.

I called Mr. Kalb back first, figuring he was with Grandfather. He sounded overjoyed to hear me and I could hear cheering in the background. It sounded like a party.

"Katalea, is that you?" He prodded as I didn't speak. I knew the emotion invoice would sound scared and beaten. That is not how I wanted to come across.. Instinct had me wanting to assume my place as leader more and more as I edged toward eighteen.

"It is, Mr. Kalb. The enemy has been defeated." I used my most regal voice, my insides trembling.

"Defeated? How? Who helped you?" He sounded so confused. "Did our relations arrive?"

"It was just me and three weredragons. I dispatched of them." I sounded hard and matter of fact, I was sure glad this wasn't a video call.

"Three? By yourself? This is incredible." His surprise was a bit insulting. "You need to get home quickly."

"Wait, where is Mom? Have you heard from her?". I asked, afraid of the answer.

"Yes, sorry, I should have told you this already. Everything went back to normal a few moments ago. That was really when you dispatched the last dragon."

He didn't say it, but I could feel the relief in his voice. I am sure he thought the dragons had ended me when things returned back to normal. Mom must be going crazy with worry.

"I will go back to Mom, if nobody is the wiser I will compete as planned, so as to not arouse suspicion." Without hesitation I added, "This will be my last competition." My people needed me, and I realized I needed them.

I hung up, nothing he could say here would have mattered. I couldn't let my people down, putting myself at risk like this. I wasn't safe on my own. I couldn't bring security along to every meet like a celebrity. All the long years of gymnastic training seemed irrelevant now, the child I was had disappeared, it was time to grow up, and fast. I shifted and headed back the way I had come.

I managed to get myself back to the event center unseen and shifted back. I calmly walked to the information desk, picked up my backpack and changed back into the elite athlete I had trained to be one last time. I might as well go out with a bang was my last childhood thought.

I messaged Mom, and she met me in the bathroom. She was shaking, tears streaming down her face. Without a word, she fixed my hair like so many meets before. She would always be my rock.

I hit all my routines that day, electrified the crowd with my floor routine and even had the beam judges stop what they were doing to watch my bar routine. I sailed on to victory a full point ahead of the competition. I was the National Champion and all I wanted was to go home.