Chapter Thirty Four

Meanwhile back on the Island.

The few trees on the island that boasted autumn colors had finally given up and released the last leaves of summer. The trees were winter bare, empty but for the promise of spring.

"As empty as my heart," thought Katalea.

They had not made any progress on locating Dakari and the strain was evident throughout the Pride. Petty arguments broke out and silly squirmishes could turn lethal in a blink of an eye. Katalea doubted her leadership as did many of the group. Grandfather told her that he could do no more in her place, but she was not to be placated. She was the alpha now, it was up to her.

Maggie had heard from her brother a few times. He was getting weaker by the day as they rarely fed him. His messages were getting less clear as the days went by and some days they would hear nothing. He did not know where he was and had no way to guide them.

The most hopeful news she had received was after another child had snuck food to him. He had enough strength to send a lengthy message that day. He told of her bravery and kindness. He would try to find out from her any clues that might lead the Pride in to rescue them. She was not a werecat and thus was not caged. Perhaps she had some idea of where they were.

As the days grew shorter and the mild winter began to set it, Katalea and her group of weather manipulators began to see success more often than not. They could conjure Tsunami's as big as a small mountain, or thunderstorms with lightning streaking blue against a midnight sky. They were careful to control the storms lest the humans take notice. As their power and confidence grew, some discovered they were able to work on their own. It was not an uncommon sight to see a hurricane being chased off by a water spout. Weather fights were a great way of keeping the Pride distracted while all waited on news from Dakari.

Katalea had begun to have dreams again. She dreamt of dragons, magnificent in their appearance, with colors to rival a sunset. In her dreams she could see scaly crimson wings, tipped with gold and smoky gray eyes. She recognized those eyes, they belonged to the dragon that came after her in Utah.

She felt him in her dreams, he seemed to be looking for her, and she pushed back and tried to remain in the shadows. He was not one to be crossed and she had made an enemy that day in Utah with her tornado.

She remembered him and his cronies in their human form and sighed. Even in dreams a girl could appreciate a physique such as his. She would wake feeling guilty for lusting after Dakari's captors. Even in dreams, dragons were a manipulative lot.

She never seemed to dream a location, but she could feel the presence of the ocean. They had searched beach after beach with drones, especially the coastal areas in the United Kingdom. Not even a small clue for all their efforts. Katalea reasoned that Margaret O'hare had probably been abducted close to where the Dragons had made their new home, but the terrain was immense and parts impenetrable. Morale was at an all time low and was getting worse with each failed rescue mission.

The new recruits were becoming like family and the daily lunches were bonding them close together. Most enjoyed the chance to meet everyone and get involved. It was not uncommon to hear of new mate bonds as we all intermingled.

The weekly strategy meetings were proving to be a blessing as well. Mixing magics with combat skills had strengthened everyone, reminiscent of those long ago training sessions with Abe.

It would soon be time to discuss a giant merger of Pride's. Katalea thought to have each of their alpha's sit on her royal consul as advisors so their Pride's traditions wouldn't be lost and their people would have a direct link to her. They still needed more time to become as one Pride if they were to succeed against the dark forces that were throwing to eradicate them.

Katalea felt she could gain more respect as leader if Dakari could be found. Asking people to follow an inept leader seemed unreasonable, black panther or not. She knew she was seen as inexperienced, but she has years of experience in her consul. She worked with Grandfather and the other elders daily, picking their brains.

Each Pride offered its own strengths, joining together under one leader would give them the size needed to survive. She wondered if there were more werecats out there that Dakari hadn't found yet? Her thoughts took a quick lurch to think that her fated mate might be out there somewhere.....so many mate bonds had been discovered in the last months that the daily lunches had begun to resemble a dating game.

———————————————————-

Lainey remained on the floor picking up plate chards as Essam's rage continued. Her arm was already forming bruises from where he had gripped her. Dakari might look asleep, but she knew he heard every word. There was no more time to plan, she had to try to save Dakari and herself.

With her mind distracted she managed to cut her finger. Blood oozed out and mixed with the water already on the floor. She covered her finger with the dish cloth and finished picking up the last remnants of Essam's fury.

"Werecats?" She thought. She looked at Dakari who was peeking back at her. He had a look on his face she had never seen before. How could she trust him now? What if he shifted and ripped her to shreds? The situation seemed impossible.

"I have the key, would you unlock the door?" He asked, his whisper so low she had to strain to hear him.

She moved a little closer, and studied him. Maybe they could help each other. It was time to trust someone. As quiet as a mouse she went to his cage. Without words he handed her the key through the bars.

"How did you get this?" She asked incredulously. It was an old skeleton key, faded silver and tarnished.

"Like this..." he whispered and conjured a bouquet of wildflowers.

The first smile in weeks bloomed on her face. The only bit of color in this wet dreary place. Then realization dawned.

"If you can do that," she said, nodding to the flowers that disappeared as easily as they had appeared. "Why haven't you just disappeared yourself?"

"I have tried, but the bars to my cage are made from a metal that keeps me bound. It is dragon magic I suppose. They try to keep me drugged so I can't work around it. I made the key, but had no one to turn the lock. Until now...."

"If I let you out, will you help me get out too?" She asked, hope creeping into her eyes.

"If you let me out, I will get you to safety and come back and save all the other prisoners. My people will erase this Gruppa of dragons from the earth." Dakari spoke so confidently, Lainey had no choice but to put her trust in him.

I might as well die trying, she thought as she slipped the lock into the cage. "I have an escape path," she whispered shyly. "Do you want to see it?"

"You really are one brave little girl," respect and admiration shown in his eyes. "Lead the way!"

She ran down the corridors she knew so well after tending to Essam for so long. When they reached the hallway that housed his private quarters, she turned to Dakari. Motioning for complete silence she began to creep towards her alcove.