Untitled Part 47

For hours the group took turns checking on Lainey. She had yet to move once, and the purple crystal continued to glow. Dakari thought he could see improvement in her limbs, although in his tired state he realized he might be imagining it.

Dakari had conjured a small fire to keep them warm and they huddled around it. As they were all getting hungry he also envisioned a small door that they could go through and still stay invisible. They placed a rock on the ground in front of it so they could find it without running into the walls. Two of the warriors were able to go out and find a few rabbits, which were currently roasting over the fire.

"Your skills have grown big brother," Maggie said with a wink. She sat down next to him and he promptly conjured up a red rose. She laughed and threw it at his head. It disappeared before it found its mark.

"I had nothing to do but practice all summer. Whenever they were around I would pretend to be drugged. It was not a challenge to beat a man in a drugged stupor and before long they forgot about me. I conjured ugly bruises onto my skin, dark and purple fading to green. I would hear them chuckle, happy that someone was still kicking me around. That satisfied them for the most part."

"How did you find Lainey?" She probed, looking over at Lainey.

"Actually, Lainey found me...she had learned to keep her eyes downcast because the dragons have the ability to hypnotize girls who look directly at them, while she was doing this she caught me watching. My cell was right off the kitchen, where the slaves gathered. He shuddered remembering the awful treatment the slaves endured.

"After that she started sneaking me food. The cook was a slave too, and would always save scraps for her." He turned to his sister now, "Maggie, I watched them kill the cook. These dragons are ruthless."

"Why do they hate us so much? Did they ever say?" She wondered.

"Not directly. Something about a treaty that was welched on, oftentimes they would refer to the ancient prophecies. I think there is more to those scrolls than we know. When this is all over, I want to spend some time studying them."

They heard the muffled sound of the door closing. Within seconds Penny appeared carrying a cornucopia of cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and being in Ireland, potatoes.

She curtsied low and deep as if presenting food to a king, "Tonight we feast."

They made a stew with their treasures and it simmered over the open flame for hours. They took turns going outside with Dakari's cup, drinking their fill and relieving themselves when necessary. Finally as the twilight colors began to fade, the rescue team sat around the little fire, eating straight from the cauldron Dakari had conjured for cooking.

"I think it's time to address the elephant in the room." Maggie said, watching Lainey's chest rise and fall with each breath.

"You're right, of course," said Dakari. "I don't know how long she'll be like this. If you guys want to go back, I will stay here with her until she is able to move again." He sounded so guilty, Maggie's heart went out to him.

"You misunderstand big brother. I have already messaged Katalea and told her we would not be home for at least three days. We will all stay together and get her through this. She is a hero, and our people are grateful."

"I think what Maggie is getting at, be it ever so slowly, is that we have no plan for when she wakes up."

"I've only been thinking of escaping, I don't even know where she's from." Dakari acknowledged. "I know she has a cute British accent," he tried thinking of any other clues.