Chapter Sixty

The Hunt for Knowledge

"The journey is the treasure." Lloyd Alexander

~

~

~

"The true secret in being a hero lies in knowing the order of things. Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story." The Last Unicorn

~

~

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

~

~

Just before dawn, before the light beat back the dark, before anything or anyone stirred, Katalea found herself in the place that she considered her sanctuary. Her terrace, all fixed and new, boasted new deck furniture in shades of sea green. She lounged alone for a few moments, enjoying the solitude. As she watched, the sky turned pink and pale over the horizon. The first gulls stirred and began their relentless search for food. Her stomach rumbled in unison to signal it was time for her to eat as well. Rather than messaging someone to bring up food, she set out for the kitchen to see what she could rustle up.

What she found was a beautifully set table, complete with candles. A smiling Dakari, apron still tied around his day clothes, offered her a champagne flute filled with freshly squeezed orange juice. She smiled at him shyly, her stomach now experiencing raw nerves rather than hunger. She smelled her favorite breakfast foods, tuna and eggs, but she suddenly had no taste for them. Kaya, her panther, was fighting for control.

Fighting to control the situation Katalea spoke before Kaya could jump into Dakari's arms. "I am honored you would rise this early to share breakfast with me."

He blushed as he answered, "I am hoping to spend every breakfast with you from now on."

He went to her, arms outstretched, and she walked into his embrace. She felt her body purr as he rubbed his hand down her arm. He pulled back, gesturing towards the table.

"Shall we eat?" He said, his voice sounding somewhat like a low growl.

"When had Dakari gotten so sexy?" was the only thing she was thinking as he filled her plate. She looked up at him to thank him, but he only grinned. He sat, lowered his head as if in prayer, then dug into his own plate.

"Are you packed and ready for our adventure?" He asked between mouthfuls.

"Yes, Grandmother helped me last night." She looked down, clearly troubled.

"What is it Katalea? Are you worried about being away?" He questioned.

"No, not at all. It's just..." she paused. Kaya was inside her head screaming for control.

"Would it be ok.." again she faltered. Kaya begged her to stop talking.

Dakari just looked at her. She tried again, "Maybe we could get separate rooms until, well, just until...." She finally stammered out. Kaya wailed in disgust.

Dakari chuckled, "Is that what you were worried about, little flower?" He said using the childhood nickname that he used to tease her with. Now the name rolled off his tongue and made her feel beautiful.