Chapter Forty Four

"There must be twenty dragons flying around out there, we are never going to get out of here alive," Lainey cried.

Dakari looked out between the rocks, the kaleidoscope of colors on the dragons was brilliant and would have been a delight to see if they weren't all hell bent on finding and killing him. A bright red dragon seemed to be in charge as he soared the highest and appeared to be supervising the others.

"That's Essam," Lainey said following his gaze. "He's the alpha. He's smart and super mean. The others are all afraid of him."

As they watched Essam circling, a dragon of deep blue began to fly close to where they hid. He hovered, and put his nose against the cliffs. He inhaled long breaths and seemed to be savoring the scent.

Slam! The rock shook beneath them. Slam! Small rocks began to splash below. The indigo dragon was slamming his body against the cliff trying to break through. Lainey started to cry. Dakari held onto her trembling body and prayed that the cliff face would hold. Another dragon, emerald green this time, joined in. Together they rammed into the rocks creating a deafening banging within the cavern. The age-old cliffs held firm.

Sulphuric odors began to penetrate and Dakari realized the dragons had begun to breathe fire. He grabbed Lainey's hand and they scrambled back away from the wall just as an enormous blast of fire shot through. The stench of the fire made Lainey gag, and Dakari pushed her head between her knees so she would not be sick.

The sticky heat began to melt the moss on the ledges and as Dakari and Lainey watched they saw yellow eyes peering in at them. Essam looked directly at Lainey and let out a vicious screech. The enraged dragon threw his enormous weight against the cliff but it still held firm.

"Come on, we have got to find a way out of here!" Dakari shouted at Lainey so she could hear him above the banging.

Lainey, frozen with fear, didn't budge. This was just too much. She couldn't take it any more. She closed her eyes and willed herself to sleep.

Then the banging stopped.

She opened one eye and looked up at Dakari. His face had looked so defeated a moment prior, now there was the glint of hope in his eyes.

"I do believe my people are here. Get up Lainey, Maggie is coming for us!

_______________________

True to his promise the helicopter arrived in Western Ireland in under an hour. Without the boost from Mr. Toma, the short flight would have been about five hours. Judging by what they were witnessing now, they would have been five hours too late.

As they watched in horror, dozens of dragons appeared to be frantically throwing themselves at the cliffs. They stayed low and would not be visible to the humans on the mainland above. They swarmed and circled, their numerous bodies so dense they were blocking out the sun from where Maggie and the other warriors stood.

Thanks to Penny they were all invisible. After months of training for this they were able to fly together in feline and human form. They stayed downwind lest their scent reach any of the already crazed dragons.

They had left the helicopter back in the pasture they had landed in and had flown invisibly the short distance to the cliffs. From far away they had caught the scent of the dragons and knew there was trouble. They perched themselves on cliffs far north of the action and tried to figure out what to do. Maggie hadn't been able to message Dakari yet, but tried again now.

"Still nothing," Maggie swore in agitation.

"How are we going to get through the thundercloud of dragons to get them out if we can't reach them and tell them where we are?" Penny questioned.

The group of warriors stood still, each ready to fight to the death if need be, but not prepared to plan a battle. They looked to Maggie in hopes she had a plan. Maggie's eyes were closed but her lips were moving. Nodding her head she began to smile.

"Katalea says to call the coast guard!"

Penny looked at her quizzically. "Why in the world?"

Maggie cut her off mid sentence. "If we call the coast guard and pretend to be human. We can tell them we were out hiking on the cliffs and one of our hiking party fell over. They will send the whole search and rescue team! The dragons will have no choice but to run for cover. We can swoop in while the Coast Guard is searching the water and rocks below and rescue Dak!"

"Katalea is a genius!" One of the warriors exclaimed, pride clear in his voice. Sounds of agreement from the team of invisible warriors could be heard.

"I'd better go back to the helicopter and get that phone then" with that Penny took to the air.

Maggie heard the static in her mind and hoped a message from Dakari would come through. Katalea's voice was loud and intense.

"Maggie, I can see them. I keep having visions, Lainey is laying on a rock and Dakari is over her. They are trapped and the dragons have found them. They are beating on the cliffs trying to break through. It looks like they are getting close. Hurry!"

Before Maggie could answer Katalea, Penny made it back. "I called the coast guard from the helicopter. They are on the way." She gushed.

"We will have to destroy that phone when we leave. The coast guard will try to come after us for sending in a false claim when they realize they have been duped." One of the warriors commented.

"They have no idea they are saving two lives today!" Maggie said and relayed the information to Katalea.

Long before they saw the boats begin to arrive, the dragons turned as one to the horizon. Anger evident in the screeches that filled the air they made a beeline for their lair. One by one they disappeared from sight.

Little dots on the horizon began to grow as they sailed into view. A battalion of search and rescue ships raced to the cliffs and began to search the cliffs and sea. Penny gave the signal and all shifted and took to the air.

Flying in formation and avoiding the dragon's lair the group of invisible warriors began to search the area the dragons had been relentlessly beating. Maggie tried again to send a message to Dakari and she could hear that wonderful static that told her he was at least receiving her message.

She heard nothing back but a speck of blue pushed out of one of the rocks. A little girl, hardly bigger than a werekitten, stood on the rocks now. She had two braids, and a very dirty face, smudged with tears and no shoes. She was looking behind her as a very thin Dakari climbed out behind her. Maggie roared with pleasure. She hadn't meant to, but the sight of her brother overjoyed her.

Dakari jumped, and began to wave his arms. Maggie could see him bending over to speak to the little girl, probably reassuring her. She signaled for the group to turn and as one they changed course. As a group they hovered just below the ledge Dakari stood on.

"Step forward, feel for us. Tell the little one that when you feel our fur, you will disappear as well. Tell her to come forward, she will have to trust Penny to give her a ride."Maggie said in her mind.

Dakari turned at once to the little girl and relayed the message.They hugged fiercely. Holding hands they walked toward the edge of the cliff. To the coast guard workers below they would have looked like a couple on a suicide mission. Thankfully the guard never looked up and missed it when two people disappeared into the thin air.