Chapter 3

In the morning I wake to the wafting smells of someone cooking. It takes me a couple seconds to remember that I did in fact invite a stranger I had only met that day to stay in my studio where they will invade whatever personal space I had before as well as the awkward moments that had been shared amongst us.

"Good morning, I hoped you slept as well as you could last night considering you slept on the floor. What are you making for breakfast?" I say this before setting my eyes upon the kitchen but when I do my vision is graced with his shirtless figure. I'm surprised he would go shirtless, especially after what happened last time, but I guess once you have seen it before does it really make a difference. Not that I'm complaining or anything because it definitely is not a bad view.

He looks up to meet my eyes and his smirk graces his lips again almost as if to tease me about my thoughts of him being shirtless "Good morning to you too, I slept well actually which is weird considering I don't normally sleep well anywhere except for my own bed back home. And I'm cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast, although I would think you would already know from the smell that it is giving off."

I guess he is right it is a distinctive smell so anyone that has had bacon and eggs before would know what he is cooking. I know how depressing I have never had bacon and eggs, but I have never had any cooked breakfast before. My parents didn't want me eating it and so for my whole childhood I missed out on pancakes, bacon and eggs, waffles, French toast you name it. I was only ever given cereal and so as I progressed into my adult years, I just didn't give it a try because I was always busy and never woke up in time to cook myself a breakfast.

That also reminds me where is his home, where does he live exactly because I can't exactly see him living in the next town over or anywhere close to here. "Where is home for you exactly, I know I probably won't know the name or location of the town, but you could just give me a general direction and distance."

I know he is thinking about what I don't know or understand, all this question would be was which direction he comes from and how far approximately he is away from his hometown. "Well, it is a far way away, I have been searching and have been on my journey for around a year now, I have changed directions during my trip so I don't exactly know which direction it would be a hundred percent, I can only give you my best estimate and that would be that I'm northwest in direction and if I was to just travel here it would take a month and a half." This was what I considered odd that he didn't exactly know where his home was. I mean wouldn't you want to find your way back home after a long journey, specially one that has kept you away from your family for so long. Wait does he even have a family to go back to or a life that is waiting for him to return to after he has found what he is searching for. What type of search takes a year or more to complete because it must be something special for him to not give up his search after so much disappointment?

With the food served at the table or what I call to be my table when in actuality it is a breakfast bar that is an extension of my kitchen bench. Before I could start to eat my breakfast the doorbell sounds. Who would possibly be visiting me in the morning when I have work, everyone in town knows that they can approach me at work if they want to talk so normally, I'm never interrupted at home before a day of work?

Forgetting that my attire is still currently the oversized shirt I always wear to bed I open the door to find my mother of all people out the front waiting for an invitation inside. I would normally say patiently but from the expression in her eyes nothing about her is seeming patient today and that normally means a storm is brewing underneath her calm exterior. I wonder what could possibly have brought her to my home which is completely on the opposite side of town from where she lives with my father until I remember that Karen served me yesterday with Danny. I can tell I'm definitely in for a lecture today well this morning at least.