Winnings and Losses

🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃
"Fondue is just cheese and bread, my friend.", Howard says as he walks behind Steve through a door.

"Really? I didn't think..."

"Nor should you, pal. The moment you think you know what's going on in a woman's head is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked. Me, I concentrate on work, which at the moment is about making sure you and your men do not get killed.", Howard stops him.

"Carbon polymer. Should withstand your average German bayonet. Although Hydra's not going to attack you with a pocket knife. I hear you're kind of attached.", Howard says while walking around the room. He taps Steve's shield.

"It's handier than you might think."

"I took the liberty of coming up with some options.", Howard says.

He shows Steve several shields.

"This one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays that allow you to...", Howard is cut off by Steve.

"What about this one?", He picks it up.

"No, no, that's just a prototype."

"What's it made of?", Steve asks.

"Vibranium. It's stronger than steel and a third the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent."

"How come it's not standard issue?", Steve asks.

"That's the rarest metal on Earth. What you're holding there, that's all we've got."

"You quite finished, Mr. Stark? I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business.", Rebecca walks into the room.

Steve is holding the shield in front of him.

Rebecca picks up a nearby gun. She starts shooting it at the shield as Steve protects himself.

He moves the shield down to look at her. Howard was shielding his face.

She sighs.

"Yes, I think it works."

She sets the gun down and walks past Steve, Howard stands by him as she walks off.

"I had some ideas about the uniform.", Steve hands Howard a piece of paper, never taking his eyes off Rebecca.

"Whatever you want, pal.", Howard says, also not looking away.

🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃
"That was amazing!", Peggy says.

"Thanks. That should knock some sense into him.", Rebecca smirks.

"Are you really mad at him?"

"No. I just really wanted to make him nervous. But don't worry, Bucky and I will talk to him before the mission. He'll be okay.", Rebecca answers.

Peggy nods with a slight smile.

"What's wrong?", Rebecca asks.

"How do you trust them so much?"

Rebecca smiles.

"I know Steve. He would never cheat, that's just not like him. And he's got two people that love him very much, no need. But, he also doesn't know how to deal with women. I'm afraid that would be why he couldn't get the woman off of him."

"And James?", Peggy pushes.

"He's flirty but he doesn't mean anything by it. I know them, Peg. I'll be okay.", Rebecca assures her sister.

Peggy sighs. She is still not convinced.

"Oh, and I also have these.", Rebecca shows off her engagement rings.