7 True Fear

For the first time in this interrogation I experience true fear.

Fear that overcomes me and shuts me down. I want to flee. I want to run out of this tent. Even if there were no handcuffs I wouldn't be able to move.

I'm terrified. Deathly terrified. The kind of deathly that I would betray someone's life. Someone's life that I owe.

And all because of one man.

My father.

"Your Majesty," I whisper.

Two men stand behind my father.

"Raksana, would you care to explain where you have been?" He folds his hands behind his back and walks toward me, his steps even and clipped.

"I did not want to disappoint you, sir. I didn't want to fail you on the battlefield. I didn't want to let you--"

His hand strikes me across my cheek, my neck turning sharply. I can't resist him. I can't fight back. I'm chained to the chair and table.

"Out," he orders Jonah and the two men who entered the tent with him. They obey without a second thought about me or even a first. Once the tent flap closes he raises his hand once more. "Fail me? You failed me the moment you fled."

I bite my lip. Remember. Remember all he's taught me.

"So help me, if you let a tear fall, I'll dig your tear ducts out with my knife. Tell me the truth. I know you didn't run away because you were worried about disappointing me. You know I'd rather you die on the battlefield then face the shame of having a daughter who fled from her duty."

His words sting. Tell him I was taken by the rebels.

"I didn't want to kill anyone." I bow my head. "Deal me your punishment, and I shall take it."

He turns away, disgusted with me.

I close my eyes. Out of ten children, the whole country probably knows I'm his least favorite. If favorite can even be used to describe how he feels about me. I may be the youngest, but I'm certainly not his baby girl.

"I can't even look at you." He sighs. "I'm sending you with a group of my top soldiers tonight to infiltrate the rebel's headquarters, and I want you to bring me back the lifeless body of their leader."

I can't kill him. I owe him my life. The only reason my face doesn't give my true emotions away is because of the training my father put me through. "Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?"

"Well, if you come back alive I'll just have to figure out something else to do with you." He leans forward, placing his arms at my sides. "I don't care if you come back alive."