29 Orders

Back on the floor of my cell, I answer Ambry's questions.

"How did the kitchens smell?" she asks, propped on her elbows.

Seated upright, my knees are pressed to my torso. My neck aches to be leaned back but the bars of light don't create comfortable support. I inhale, recalling the scents. "Like bread for one. All the herbs were a little bit intoxicating. And there was a pig roasting. It smelled so juicy and. . . sweet and delicious. It smelled like real food. I was tempted to grab a piece."

"You would have gotten in so much trouble."

I laugh. "I know."

"They healed your face, but what about your back?"

"It doesn't hurt anymore."

"And I take it you got a proper shower?"

Proper. Anything after that shower was not proper. However, I still nod. "The woman who was directing me wouldn't let me put my clothes back on after. She made me walk naked past anyone waiting to shower."

"You seem embarrassed."

I run my fingers over a piece of my hair. "Well yes."

"I don't know why you should be. It's just skin. What makes this"-- she places a hand on one of her breasts-- "any different from this?" She moves her hand to her arm. "It's just skin. What makes it so attractive? If someone held up a flap of skin, no one would be enamored by it."

I continue running my fingers over that piece of hair. "You have a point."

"Just keep it in mind next time."

"I will. Thank you." Though I will still be uncomfortable with it, no matter how many times it has and will happen. "I want to find your siblings."

Her demeanor softens and her eyes widen. "Sana, I would appreciate that more than anything."

"What are their names?"

"There are four of them: Kalila, Samwell, Lizabeth, and Boranna. Our last name is Brosel."

"Is there anything you want me to tell them?"

"That I love them and that I'm okay."

"I'll do my best to find them."

She covers her mouth with her hand. "Thank you." She brushes off her dress and readjusts herself. "Now tell me, did you see any of the royals?"

*****

My hands tremble as I lay the dough over the pie tin.

"Stop!"

My hands jerk and I tear the dough. I glare at Creelle. "What? I had it."

"You rolled it too thin. It was bound to break."

"You told me it was good."

"I was testing you."

I throw my head back. And here I thought baking was starting to grow on me. The generals arrived today. They're upstairs dining now.

Creelle gathers up my ruined pie dough and begins to reform it.

"Do you know a Lizabeth?" I finally ask him. I've been trying to for days, but the only questions he lets me ask are about baking.