42 Shatter You

Josie and I are herded to an inner room within the palace for safety. The Capitol Prison is under attack. My family— they're coming for me.

The room is large with no windows. The door is thick and locked by a computer. The rest of the royal family are gathered inside. King Kassen pulls his daughter into a hug, while Queen Elissa, Maxon, and Jareth send me scrutinizing glares, knowing I'm to blame for this. Every catches my eyes before looking anywhere but at me. He and Josie are the only ones I feel bad for putting in this situation. A few years ago maybe Queen Elissa would be on that list, but not anymore. The war has hardened her. As for Maxon and Jareth, they deserve to feel fear.

What is happening to me?

For what seems like forever, we wait to see if my country will attack the palace once they don't find me in the prison. The soldiers confirmed with us that it is in fact Lumiere. My country came for me. They actually did. I know Kassen and his elder sons are not going to let me go without a fight. I know about the true heir, and I know they don't want me telling any Lumierians especially not my father.

A soldier by the door puts his hand to his ear, and I swear his face pales. He approaches the king and bows. "Your Majesty, they're in the palace."

I grip the skirt of my dress in my hands, trying to hide my anxiousness. Is it my siblings or soldiers or both? I don't want anything to happen to anyone, but especially not to any of my sisters or bothers.

Each of the royal family is given a gun. Not me. If things go south for them, they can remove my threat level status. Just one shot is all it would take. One and I'd be no more.

Each one of our expressions are tensed. Every part of us is. Shoulders. Arms. Back. Neck. Hands holding guns.

Gunshots and screams, two old friends, ring throughout the palace. I could die today. I swallow, gripping my dress tighter. Josie could die. Every as well. When I came here, I thought I was saving Nate's life. I didn't think I could be taking someone else's.

Blood curdling cries call out from the other side of the door. I have to focus to breathe. If any of my siblings are out there, they won't have a problem getting through the computer locked door. Like me, overriding the system in the rebel base, they know how to do the same task.

With beeping that rings of imminence, the heavy door slides open and before the soldiers have time to properly aim, they're lying on the floor, bleeding out.

Walking into the room, guns raised, are my father's children: Leo, Bryon, Samuel, Lilyith, Rosalie, Killian, Andromeda, Gale, and Salenia. All who are missing are Alastair and Adelaide, the eldest.

A standoff between the two families ensues, my family greatly outnumbering Every's. This isn't even my whole family.

His gun trained on Jareth, Leo takes a step forward. "Thank you for looking after our sister, but now it's time we brought her back home."

"I'm surprised you even showed up for her," Jareth retorts, his gun aimed back at Leo. "She thought you forgot about her. We've been very welcoming toward her." Jareth gives him a smirk, and it's Killian who reacts to it by a twitch in his hand.

Someone fires. And then another person. And another. I drop to the ground and grab the gun of one of the fallen Quillunite soldiers. I inch away, my gun raised, as everyone seeks cover. My eyes land on Lilyith with her gun aimed at Every. She's going to kill him. She won't hesitate, not like I would. He doesn't see her as he's too busy shielding Josie. I can't let him die.

"Lilyith!"

She turns her head, searching for me. Finally, her eyes land on me, and I can see relief on her face.

Relief that shatters as her back arches, and she falls forward. Behind her a Quillunite soldier still holds his gun in the air, pointed at where she stood.

No. I shake my head. No. Not her.

I raise my gun and fire, the bullet landing in his head. A quick death from the princess who swore off killing. But he shot my sister. What else could I do?

I try running to her, dodging bullets as I go, but I can tell she's already dead. A scream rips through me, and tears fall before I can even tell they're in my eyes. My heart shatters like her face did. Arms wrap behind my back, pulling me away.

"No." I struggle. "No, no."

"We have to get out of here." It's Killian's voice at my ear. "Don't let her death be in vain." His voice is rough like he's trying to hold off the scream that comes from watching a sister die. I grip the gun, letting him pull me away. My tears blur the fight. I don't know who's dead and who lives. Maybe it's better like that for now.

At some point, Killian releases me, and I comply with him by running through the palace and out to the streets. Soldiers shoot at us, and I have to tell myself that this isn't real. That's how I make myself shoot them. They're training simulations. I aim. Fire. She doesn't have a past. Aim. Fire. He doesn't actually have a family. Aim. Fire. They won't feel a thing. Aim. Fire. Again and again until Killian stops before a Quillunite cargo truck.

"This is how we'll get out of the city. We have a ship outside where our soldiers are guarding it."

Salenia and Andromeda breeze past us, jumping into the vehicle.

I climb inside, and take up a defensive position in case any enemy soldiers locate us. I wipe away the tears in my eyes. Now is not the time for crying. Mourning comes after the battle.

So Raksana killed someone. What do you think about it?