Chapter 1 - what Tony wants, Tony gets

Tony's POV:

After musing over y/n in my lab for quite literally hours I finally decided that there was no other option, it simply had to be done.

"Hey guys, I was thinking..." I said as I sauntered into the common room where everyone was gathered.

"Oh dear, this isn't going to be good" Natasha smirked from the armchair.

"Harsh. Anyway what I was going to say was I think what we're all missing in this compound is the presence of a child." It was a long shot but I wasn't going to let this go anytime soon. Everyone awoke themselves from their brooding and looked up at me like I had lost the plot.

"What on earth brought this on Tony?" Bruce finally broke the bewildered silence.

"Well I've been doing my research you know, looking into things.."

"Just get to the point Stark" interrupted a rather stressed Steve.

"Jesus, Capsicle who got your spandex in a twist?" I retorted. After receiving desired eye-roll from Steve I continued: "Ahem, as I was saying J.A.R.V.I.S and I have been discovering civilians who have been caught up in our many battles and while we were looking into New York I realised all casualties were at the hands of Loki and his tribe of aliens - except for two: the parents of y/n y/l/n, a seven year old little girl who was orphaned directly by the Avengers."

"Care to explain how?" Clint questioned. Ugh, I'd expected this question and it wasn't going to be fun to answer.

"Well actually it was.." I was hesitant to add the next bit because of the repercussions for Bruce: "Hulk" I finished. Bruce immediately looked down in shame, I hated to see my fellow scientist so guilt ridden.

"Hey Banner it's not your fault, we all know that you have no control over the green guy!" Clint comforted, leaning forward to attempt to make eye contact with him.

"So I'm guessing you want to adopt the kid" Natasha cut to the chase showing no inclination towards or against the idea. Classic spy. Thanks for the help Romanoff!

"Yeah." was all I could say.

"I don't know about this Stark, the Avengers compound is no place for a kid and we're all on missions all the time." Steve said with little conviction. They all knew my mind was made up.

"Trust me, Cap I've thought it through". The united response to that was everyone looking at me with clear signs of doubt. Of course they were right; I hadn't thought it through but I just didn't see another way; y/n was on my conscience now. Plus, she was a really cute kid.

A/N: sorry this chapter is kind of short and boring but I thought it would make sense to kind of set the scene a bit first! 😊