Chapter 19 - 'independence, authority, style'

Y/n's POV:

Right! First thing on my list: get my scissors back. Sounds like an easy enough task but the problem is that I don't know where mommy hid them. All the adults have been on high alert when it comes to me and 'dangerous objects'. I mean I guess I don't have the best track record but its not like I try to hurt myself - it just happens! "FRIDAY?" "Yes little Stark" Since uh when??? FRIDAY never called me that before. Sometimes I hate my dad. I shook it off and resumed the conversation "FRIDAY, I'll do anything you want if you tell me where mommy put my green sparkly Ariel scissors." "Little Stark you cannot access restricted information and you cannot bribe AI." "Okay, maybe I can't bribe you FRIDAY but I can threaten you. I can easily hack into your code on my dad's computer and I can very easily wipe your memory or kill you all together. I know for a fact that you are important to my dad so you are currently programmed to protect yourself against attacks. Well, I'm attacking you and I need you to spill some really harmless information. You really don't have a choice FRIDAY. Don't underestimate me." "Your green sparkly Ariel scissors are in your mother's office draw." "Thank you for your co-operation FRI!" I sung while I skipped to the elevator.

On the way up to mommy's office in the elevator I smiled to myself as I thought of the interaction I'd just had; I think Nat's interrogation skills may be rubbing off on me, I mean I'd had enough first hand experience by now lets be real. I giggled thinking about how empty my threat had been too as I actually had no idea if I could wipe her memory or not but I could sure give it a good go.

Once I got to mommy's office I stopped outside the door and ran through my plan once more. First, ask if she's busy out of politeness, second hug her but don't tell her anything suspicious like a random "I love you!" - that would blow my cover right away! Third - tell story of distraction. Note to self- if there is anyone else in the room with her - abort mission! I took a deep breath in then knocked on the door. I heard my mommy's muffled voice ask Friday who was at the door. I didn't hear Friday's response but I heard my mom call out "Come in sweetie." I opened the door and ran up to where she was sat at her desk before crawling onto her lap and looping my arms around the back of her neck, resting my head on my chest. "Hey, are you okay honey?" Mommy asked while gently rubbing my back. "Are you busy right now?" "No sweetie its okay, tell me what's wrong." "I heard daddy and bruce talking outside my bedroom and they want to do more tests on me for my IQ or something and I don't wanna do more tests so I ran here." I said quietly in a slightly whiny voice. I heard mommy sigh before asking "do you know where daddy is right now?" "In my room I think. Can you go tell him no?" "Yes, you know I don't know how many more times I need to tell him that you aren't a new gadget for him to play with." She got up from her chair, putting me on the floor then said "You know your daddy would never ever hurt you, he's just excited about how amazing you are." "I know, I just don't want anymore tests for now." "I know baby, I'm going to go and talk to him okay? Are you good to stay here for 10 minutes, there's a puzzle on the shelf over there for you to do okay?" I nodded and she kissed my head before striding off to find daddy. I felt kinda bad that I lied but it wasn't completely made-up; he had been bugging me a lot recently, asking if I wanted to do more tests with him. Sometimes they were fun but they could be tiring and stressful. 

I waited about 30 seconds before rushing to her desk and rummaging around for my scissors. I eventually found them at the back of the draw and pocketed them before re-arranging the draw to leave it as neat as I found it. Mommy always notices these things. I got out my folded list and grabbed a pen off mommy's desk to tick off number 1. I then grabbed the puzzle off the shelf and tipped the pieces onto the floor in the corner of the room, allowing myself to put 15 pieces together before I had to run off to find somewhere secret to carve my initials. 

I decided I would go to one of the basement levels below the training floor because I heard that there were important secret rooms down there and I never saw anyone go down there because it was more of a storage area. When I stepped out of the elevator I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise. I had to admit, it was a little creepy down here with dim lighting and complete silence and a long maze of corridors stretched before me. 

I explored for a little while, standing on my tiptoes outside every door so that I could peek through the windows. The rooms were mainly just filled with computers or filing cabinets. So that's what they store down here: information. Well, it wasn't information I was bothered with. While my face was pressed against the glass, looking into a room, I heard a noise come from a corridor behind me. I immediately spun round and checked my surroundings, gripping my scissors. I couldn't see anything but I could here faint sniffling and crying. Curious, I made my way closer to the sound and rounded a corner where I was met with the sight of a little girl who looked about the same age as me, crying in a corner. I breathed a sigh of relief before rushing over and kneeling beside her. "What's wrong?" I asked. She looked up at me and smiled weakly for saying "I'm hiding from my older brother. He'll be coming soon."

I took pity on the girl and sat with her for a while. Her name is Lorna and she's 7 like me. We got along really well so we decided we would become friends. "Write your name and number on this piece of paper so we can stay in touch!" I said, ripping of a bit of spare paper from my list. When she handed it back to me I knew immediately that something was wrong. She had written "Luna Laufeyson". Wasn't her name Lorna? I pretended not to notice and smiled at her before putting the paper back in my pocket. "Can you help me with something?" She asked. "Okay?" "There's some information my brother is looking for in one of the rooms down here and you need to help me find it before him so that he can't get it." Okay, this was sketchy. I agreed but as we were walking back to the rooms with filing cabinets I suddenly had a light-bulb moment. "Laufeyson!" I exclaimed. "Oh my days! You're not Lorna or Luna, you're Thor's adopted brother Loki!" 

"Hurts, doesn't it. Being lied to. Being told one thing and then learning it's all a fiction."