Chapter 21 - Mac and Cheese fun

y/n's pov

I was walked to the living room by Daddy and everyone started sitting down on the surrounding couches and armchairs. Thor had walked off in the other direction with Loki. I hope they haven't gone back to Asgard already. Thor always forgets to say goodbye to me because he's always in a rush. Before Daddy could sit me down next to him I hurried over to where Wanda was sat and after meeting her gaze I could tell I would be allowed to sit with her. She was definitely the softest of the bunch in moments like these - I think she's quite protective of me, well they all were but Wanda was protective in a different way. Nat was protective in a stern way but I knew she was secretly a softie on the inside too. I climbed onto Wanda's lap as there wasn't any room next to her and she immediately wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into her comforting warmth. "Spasibo Wanda (thanks Wanda)" I whispered. She hugged me a bit tighter in response.

"So, y/n, care to explain?" Daddy's voice broke the silence. "Explain what?" I replied in the most innocent voice I could, earning a pointed look from Mommy who was sat next to him. "Maybe, miss y/n, we should start with how you lied to me about Daddy and Bruce wanting to do tests with you earlier, hmm?" Mommy was scary when she was mad. "I didn't lie."

"y/n. You better not be lying to me again. The pair of them were working in the lab all day, so don't try to tell me they were in your room bugging you to do tests."

"Well - I - um - I just wanted you to leave the room so I could get my sparkly green Ariel scissors back."

"They were confiscated for a reason y/n. I try my best to keep you out of danger yet you repeatedly seem to ignore me and all of the other adults in your life who are only trying to protect you!" It was only at this point I felt really guilty about what I did. I could see how hurt Mommy was and it made me think of all the other times everyone had tried to protect me, especially Nat and Wanda. Through my tears I whimpered "I'm sorry Mommy I didn't mean it." She just sighed and walked over to me and I saw her signal for Wanda to hand me over. Her strong arms lifted me from Wanda's lap and onto her hip where she held me close. "Sweetie, the thing is that you did mean it, didn't you? You didn't get the scissors by accident, you tricked me and snuck off with them to a place where nobody would have seen if you got hurt." This only made me cry more. "Okay now, shhh, shhh it's okay Mommy's just a little disappointed but that doesn't mean that I love you any less. I love you quadrillions my little troublemaker. That's exactly why I worry about you getting hurt, okay?" All I could do was nod and tuck my face into her neck. "So did you get hurt down there sweetie? I swear to god if Loki even put a finger on you-"

"No, Loki didn't hurt me. He was just really annoying" Mommy sighed in relief and rolled her eyes a little.

"Well, Thor is taking care of him now so you don't need to worry honey". This panicked me a little.

"I don't want them to go back to Asgard! Thor never says goodbye and I promise I'm not scared of Loki"

"Well you should be scared of him. You do know what he did in New York don't you?" I nodded feeling a bit sad again now I was reminded of the past. "But look, don't worry baby they're not leaving just yet"

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Suddenly Yelena's voice broke the quiet atmosphere "Geez are we that bad? You are worried about a very bad man and his idiot brother leaving when you already have all of us?" she joked with a funny fake pout on her face. She always does that when she's trying to cheer me up. Mommy finally put me down so I could go and hug Auntie Yelena. "Now why don't you come with your favourite auntie to make some macaroni for dinner hmm?" She asked with a big grin on her face.

*later*

Auntie Yelena and I have just finished making the mac and cheese and I'm sat at a barstool helping her put the pasta in everyone's dishes because there are so many of us eating together. We've made quite a lot of mess and I keep accidentally missing the dishes and spilling pieces of macaroni when my scoop doesn't quite make it but Yelena says its fine because Steve and Daddy are doing the clearing up today. "Alright we're done! Now for the hot sauce!" Yelena says triumphantly as she takes the hot sauce out of the fridge. I watch excitedly as she squirts it all over her macaroni like how I put ketchup on my nuggets. "Can I have some too please?" She raises her eyebrow at me but says "Okaayy but it is very very spicy so only a little tiny bit." She hands me the bottle and I tip it very slowly over my dish but nothing comes out. I try again and it still doesn't work! "Okay, give it here I'll do it for you milaya" "NO! I want to do it!" Knowing this was my last chance before the bottle would be snatched off me, I gave it a really big shake over my pasta until the nozzle at the top flew off and half the bottle of hot sauce spattered onto my dinner!

Yelena's POV:

I immediately started laughing at the hilarious scene in front of me while Y/n stared at her spoiled dinner in shock. The first thing she said was a quiet "Uh oh" as she looked up at me with her cute little pout. My laughter died down as I sensed that she was seconds away from bursting into tears and I quickly rushed round the island to scoop her off the bar stool and sit her on the counter top in front of me. "Hey its alright you don't need to be sad baby, you can have someone else's, its okay." She nodded sadly so I decided it was time for the most effective cheering up method: tickle attack! She wriggled and squirmed and squealed in delight as I attacked her armpits and sides of her tummy. She almost slid off the counter she was laughing so much so I stopped my assault and lifted her onto my hip. I would be in big trouble with Natasha if let her fall off here. "See! It was funny!" I said, booping her nose as she giggled. "But... I know how we can make it funnier." I said in a loud whisper. "How?" She whispered back with curiosity. "I will scoop off most of the hot sauce off from that dish and then stir in what is left on and then we can give it to Natasha as a prank!" "Okay!" She agreed but looked a little uncertain. I think perhaps she was thinking of all the countless times she has been in trouble with Nat. "Don't worry, I'll take the blame if she gets mad." I reassured her. "Now, to make this prank work we're going to need some red food colouring!" I rummaged through the cupboard until I finally produced a small bottle of dye. I spun round to show y/n "Let's add this to our dishes to make them look like Natasha's!"

At dinner

Y/n's POV

I'm kicking my legs back and fourth in my chair waiting for everyone to sit down so that the prank can begin! I have a tiny bit of hot sauce in my mac and cheese but it's not too spicy for me because it was only a drop. Natasha won't know that though because Auntie Yelena and I added red drops to our pasta! Nat's will be really spicy! I can't wait to see her reaction!

The clinking of cutlery signalled that everyone was tucking in. After a mouthful I looked up at Nat who was seated opposite me. It happened in the blink of a second but I was looking carefully so I caught the slight raising of her eyebrows as she took her first bite! She quickly amended her expression as she glanced across the table at my plate and Yelena's. "Y/n honey, is this pasta a little bit spicy for you? It looks like you've got a lot of hot sauce there!" She asked as she gave her sister a funny look. "No, I like it, it's yummy! Auntie Yelena said that it's only a mild hot sauce." "Yes." She tried to hide her shock again. "It's only mild but you've usually got a low spice tolerance because of how young you are so I was just checking." She blabbed. Me and Yelena shared a secret look and I tried my hardest not to smirk. Only we could see that Nat was struggling - her spy skills were amazing and she kept a neutral face but even she couldn't stop the blush rising to her cheeks and ears with each bite and before long she had to get up because her nose was running and I could see a faint glistening in her eyes. With her back turned to us I was able to grin at Yelena and point to Natasha's almost empty plate in glee. Nat soon sat back down and huffed with a hand to her stomach. "I'm afraid I'm full. Sorry, I can't finish. It was very tasty though! Thank you y/n and Yelena!" With that she got up again and took her plate to the sink. She got herself another glass of water and then walked eerily calm back to her room. She's very good at pretending she's okay.

I wonder what her reaction will be like when Yelena and I tell her it was a prank? We discussed not telling her but then we decided that revealing the mischief is half of the fun!