Chapter 1: Good Impressions

"Y/N! Get up, you're going to be late!" I hear my mom shout as she bangs on my door, then heads downstairs. I roll over, checking my phone. True to her word, if I stay in bed any longer I will be late. I get up, almost standing on one of the moving boxes left in my room. I've been too lazy and down this past week to fully unpack. I keep thinking My mom might say it was a bad joke and we're going home. Not sure where home is anymore though. For her it's in South Africa, for B/N it would be in England and for me....

Once I'm dressed I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I'm not in the mood to put eyeliner on today. Maybe I should though? I do look a hell of a lot better with it on... But I can't be arsed. I head downstairs and into the kitchen where my mom and brother are. B/N's sat eating some cereal while my mom is making herself some bacon for work.

"Morning." I greet, taking a seat at the kitchen table. "Hmm" B/N acknowledges my greeting, not looking up from his switch and cereal. "So school starts in 15 minutes. I'm going to drive B/N to school and then head into work. I won't be home till 6 so one of you needs to start food tonight also-" she cuts herself off as she turns around and looks at us.

"B/N please eat your food and stop playing-" She says taking his switch to which he tries to protest "Y/N honestly, How are you already so filthy? Did you even sleep last night?" "I-" "This is supposed to be a fresh start. Not many people get one let alone two like we have." She finishes, looking at me with a mix of anger and disappointment. "I know that, I can't help that my hoodie is dirty. It had a wash yesterday." I say looking everywhere but her face. "I know it's your favourite but please go change. You don't want to make a bad impression on your first day." She says leaving the kitchen.

I listen and head back to my room and grab a different hoodie. I look at myself in the mirror, just staring at my face. Make a good impression. "Y/N! We're leaving. Make sure you have your key when you leave!" My mom shouts from downstairs. Maybe I should put eyeliner on.... Make a good impression.

As I head into the school, I feel overwhelmed. To be back in highschool after two years is stressful. I mean before we moved I'd already completed college. Now I'm suddenly thrown back into this mess of a place. I hated secondary. I mean I know secondary and High school are probably completely different experiences but I don't know, TV hasn't really played it up to be all that good. At least it's only like two month I think.

"Good morning" I greet the receptionist at the office. "Hello, how may I help you?" She asks, looking up from her computer. "Oh um, I'm Y/N L/N, the new student. I'm supposed to be starting today." I smile at her, fidgeting with my hoodie strings and hair and tapping my feet and pretty much doing anything, annoying, at all. "Oh lovely, one second then." She says standing up and heading towards a door to the far left of the room.

After a couple of minutes she exits the room, followed by a gorgeous woman. Her hair is in box braids and up in a high ponytail, and she is wearing a pristine two piece grey pants suit with black heels. As she stops in front of me I can't help but blurt out. "You're really pretty" she looks surprised for a second before she chuckles "Thank you hun, I'm Mrs. Martin-Thompson. I'm the principal of this school." "I'm Y/N L/N" I smile at her.

"I thought you were transferring from england?" She asks me as she leads me out of the office. "Oh I am" I confirm, taking a piece of paper she offered me. "This is your timetable, Also is that a south african accent I hear?" She asks, leading me down the halls. "Yes, um I was born and raised there till 10. Then we moved to England and last week we moved here." I answer fidgeting again. "OH, my wife and I are also from South Africa, I think you're the first person I've met in Hurricane from South Africa" she laughed, stopping outside a classroom.