Chapter 11: Meaningless Pleasantries

I take my phone from Michael and check the charge before turning it off again. Thankfully it still has quite a bit of charge. "What's the time?" I ask him, even though I'm already turning my phone back on to check the time. "It's about 11;50." Michael answers as I spot the time on my phone screen. "Oh my god, sorry. I don't usually sleep in so late at sleepovers." I quickly apologise. "Don't worry, I've only been awake for about an hour. My dad said I probably shouldn't bother you if you're still sleeping." Michael explains with a small smile as he sits down on the bed. "Shit your dad's up already? I'm so sorry, I've probably made a bad impression for not waking up at a reasonable time. He probably thinks I'm super lazy! I haven't even met him yet and he probably already thinks bad of me." I ramble, clearly getting myself worked up. First impressions really matter, and I've already fucked it up.

"Seriously, don't worry. I was the first one up. I was actually about to come and wake you up when he walked out of his room and stopped me." He explains. I look at him a little confused but mostly relieved. "He thought it'd be rude of me to wake you up if you might be tired. We ended up getting Chris and Elizabeth up and just had cereal for breakfast." He finishes. "Oh, you guys already ate?" "Yeah, just cereal. Elizabeth wanted pancakes but my dad said not today." He pauses before smirking and chuckling a bit. "She got upset and then said, and I quote, 'Y/N would make pancakes' " He laughs. "Oh god, did she really say that? How did your dad react?" I smile with a laugh. Michael just shrugs with a half smile, "He just had a sour look but he didn't really say or do anything. I thought for sure he'd say something, but no." "I can imagine. His daughter, comparing him to someone he hasn't met and someone she's barely known 24hrs? I'd also be pretty salty." I joke. "Well not too salty, clearly. She later asked if dad could take them to the park again today but that we join them. He agreed to take them but didn't want to wake you." He explains. "Damn, so have they left already?" I ask. To me it kind of sounds like their dad is avoiding me. Like he doesn't want to meet me. "Yeah, they left maybe 15 minutes ago?" Michael practically asks.

"So we have the house to ourselves again?" I ask, getting up and moving over to the ensuite. "Yeah. I doubt they'll be gone long though. Elizabeth and Chris seem to really like you. They hate my other friends." Michael laughs as I brush my teeth. I spit the toothpaste out with a laugh. "I haven't even met your other friends yet."

So for the next hour and a half, Michael and I continued our video games from yesterday. I made us lunch at some point. Just some quick ham sandwiches. Neither of us had gotten changed yet. Both just chilling in our pjs still.

"What!? No! Come on, that's not fair! You have to be cheating!" Michael shouts with a laugh. "Nope, I'm just that good." I laugh leaning back on his bed. "No, you're cheating. You can't win like 15 times in a row and not be cheating." Michael smiles as he squints his eyes at me. I just laugh in response as my phone buzzes from next to me on the bed. "I demand a rematch." Michael demands with a smile as I grab my phone. "Michael, you've already had like 15 rematches." I exaggerate with a laugh as I unlock my phone and look at the new message.

Mother: Are you planning on coming home?

Me: Yes

Mother: Then where are you?

Me: I'm still at Michael's

Mother: You've been there for 24 hours already. Are you ready to come home? Are you even dressed yet?

Me: Well no

Me: We've been playing games

Mother: Well please decide if you're coming home or not.

I put my phone down with a huff. "Sorry, my mom wants me home. We'll have to reschedule." I explain standing up. "Yeah, no worries." Michael replies, starting to tidy up after us. I head downstairs to gather my stuff and get dressed to leave.Of course she has to message now. Well I guess I have been out for quite a while now.