a sad Departure

A boy with hair and eyes are bright as gold stared curiously at an older girl blonde tied into short pigtails and eyes as blue as the ocean's depth.

"Ed! Look! This is your new big sister, Naruko!" his mom announced, cheerily.

Edward stared at the older girl, his sister, with wonder and awe. With chubby legs, he toddled towards her. "Hi, sister!" he greeted, toothily. "I'm Edward!"

The girl smiled, widely at him. "Nice to meet you, Edward. I'm Naruko!" she greeted in return, gently rubbing his head.

Ed stood nervously as his mother searched for a nice pair of clothes to wear. They were going to take a family photo she had told him whatever that meant.

Naruko was already dressed in a pale blue summer dress. Her blonde hair was tied into their usual pigtails.

After he was neatly dressed in a burnt red shirt and brown shorts, his mom went to get his infant baby brother, Alphonse, ready as well.

His big sister grabbed his smaller hands and followed after their mother as she led them into a room where dad was along with a strange man with a camera.

He couldn't understand a word his parents were saying, but his could, seeing as her face was scrunched up in confusion.

Ed was picked up by Trisha as she held him out towards Hohenheim. His father tentatively placed his hands around his small waist as if he feared dropping him by accident.

Edward let out a large, childish grin. He couldn't remember the last time his father held him. His whole body trembled with childlike joy. Who could blame him? He couldn't remember the last time his father picked him up, even if his grip was uneasy and unsure.

His sister crawled onto their father's shoulder while their mother tenderly held their infant baby brother. They were one big, happy blonde family. All smiles and sunshine with no worry in the world as the photographer took their family picture.

At least... That's what Ed thought.

Now a little bigger, Edward and Alphonse sadly and dejectedly stood outside of the cracked door of their father's study watching the man on the desk, focusing on his research.

Ever since their family photo, Hohenheim has been crammed inside his study reading those books of his. Ed and Al never understood why. Why won't daddy play with them anymore? What was he doing that was so important that he would isolate himself in his room?

Trisha and Naruko had left to go someplace, leaving the boys alone with their father. The boys were feeling extremely agitated and bored. When was their mother going to bring big sister back, so she could play with them?

Edward may be only four, but he was more perceptive than most kids his age. His sister was starting to act strangely. There was nothing noticeable about her, but she seemed more tense and...sad for some reason.

He wondered if it was because dad was no longer with them. That bastard walked out on them almost year ago. He noticed how much Hohenheim's absence has affected their mother. Trisha tries to act like nothing was wrong, trying to strong for her kids, but they knew she was a little heartbroken from her He frowned. So...why? Why was she crying while staring at it? It both shocked and hurt Edward to see the shimmer of barely controlled tears in his sister's blue orbs, sticking against her long eyelashes. It was rare for her to cry. His sister never cries even when she broke her ankle when she fell off the tree that time after helping their mother pick some apples for her apple pie later that night. Why was she crying now? Did she not like wooden horse, after all?

The door squeaked louder as Ed tried to shove himself closer. The noise the door made caused Naruko to whip her head around to see her little brother standing there, a look of confusion, worry, anger glowing in his golden eyes. She knew where that anger was directed at. Their father. She knew about the bitter resentment Edward held for Hohenheim for leaving them and causing a small painful rift in their family.

"Ed?" Naruko spoke, questionably. "What are you doing in my room? You should be in bed?" She hopped out of her bed, clad in yellow pajamas, rushing towards him.

"Sister, why are you crying?" Edward asked, skipping straight to the point. He charges at headfirst at the center of his concerns, no sense of tact at his young age. Golden eyes stared into his big sister's own blue ones, face twisting into one worried-driven confusion and painstaking sadness "the dam Council is making me go back Konoha I don't want to but they threaten to take me away from you and mother I don't know what to go you are my only family" Naruko blinked once then twice before her face contorted into a wide smile. "Did I worry you, Ed?" she asked, cheekily. "Sorry about that." She affectionately rubbed his head Edward and Alphonse jumped slightly in surprise as the kitchen door swung open to reveal a tear stricken Naruko. Fretful and distressed, Ed and Al rushed to her side.
The next day
"Sister, what's wrong?"

"Why are you crying again?"

Hearing her brothers distraught and worried voices, Naruko bit the inside of her lips to keep herself from breaking down in front of them.

"Ed. Al. There's something...I have to tell you," Naruko spoke, quietly. She couldn't stop herself from trembling, her voice hoarse from her nonstop crying.

"What is it?" her two younger brothers asked, eager and scared. Does it have something do with why their sister was crying?

She mumbled something quietly under her breath. So quiet that Ed and Al couldn't hear.

"Huh?" Twin pair of blond brows furrowed in confusion, trying to strain their ears to hear sister's barely contained voice. The Council madeing the Konoha I have no choice. They had seen one of the civilen council hit her that night Edward was furious he that someone hurt his sister she made a deal if fought a shinobi and won she would stay if she lost she would go to Konoha see I lost this my real home Konoha not I want t to leave

Two words broke the boys.

Small padded feet rushed towards her, hand clinging desperately at her shirt. "Please, big sister! Don't go!" Alphonse sobbed.

The older blonde shook her head, soberly. "I can't." I know I wish I could stay but the dam Council it's because I'm the jinchuuriki of the nine tails Naruko said to them your there weapon huh says Al to them I'm a monster to them Sorry, Al," Naruko replied, softly, trying to remain strong. "But I... I really have to go." She gave him a reassuring smile. "I promise to come back someday why do they think my sister is a monster this isn't fair Both Naruko and Alphonse turned their heads to see Edward standing there in the hallway, little hands balled into angrily trembling fists. "We need you! They're you making leave "I'm sorry Edward I wish things were different. Edward was angry at Konoha how could she be treated so badly she was human right Ed promise me you will protect Al yes big sister Naruko age six "I miss them tears spill down" says Naruko as Sakura said "it's OK Naruko the pain that council put my brothers Ed and Al though is unforgivable" said Naruko I'm the wose big sister ever" said Naruko. "No your not" said Sakura