Chapter 14

(Picture is of Heronshade)

Darkness was all Foxpaw could see. There was cold air around him and a hard, stone-cold ground in which he stood on.

Though he couldn't hear or smell anything, he could hear. "Foxpaw?" It was Swiftstar's voice, loud and clear. It echoed around him in that dark void in which he stood.

Swiftstar! Where am I? Help! Foxpaw desperately tried to call out for his leader, but then tom never replied to his cries. Seriously Foxpaw? The annoyed voice of Heronshade appeared, but not like Swiftstar's had. It was like... Heronshade was right in front of him? Heronshade? Where am I? Foxpaw asked turning every which way, trying to find Heronshade or anything in general, something besides pitch black.

Foxpaw could hear Heronshade laugh at this, Oh Foxpaw, no need to worry. You are just in your own mind, while I solve this whole kittypet problem you have. And when I'm done, then you can have control of yourself once again. Heronshade explained. Foxpaw growled, Heronshade! I-

Shush! Foxpaw! Just calm down and listen and watch. Heronshade interrupted him. Just as he had said that, the scene around him changed greatly. One second he was in that dark place, and the next, he was in a clearing.

He sat on soft, green grass and flowers of all kinds were scattered around him. Maple trees surrounded the clearing like a wall and berry bushes were in between them. A clear blue sky was above him with the golden sun covered slightly with white, fluffy clouds. It smelled like Leafclan there. He took in the homey scent and sighed in contempt.

But Foxpaw's relief was short-lived. "Foxpaw! Pay attention!" Heronshade's voice, loud and clear, echoed around him. "Just look up at the sky and watch." His voice commanded and Foxpaw sighed, obeying.

He looked up at the pretty sky as the whole scene above him changed. The Sun then changed so instead of the golden orb, there was Swiftstar. Foxpaw narrowed his eyes as Swiftstar started to move and talk.

"Foxpaw!" The leader's voice echoed around him just as the Swiftstar in the Sun seemed to say something. Foxpaw opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out, just his own breath. The apprentice's heartbeat picked up. What he was watching. What he was seeing. Was Swiftstar. And he was watching it from his mind.

"Sorry Swiftstar! My mind drifted off." Foxpaw's voice apologized, only it wasn't Foxpaw saying it. What is happening!? The confused cat tried to cry out. "Calm down Foxpaw." Heronshade, yet again, reassured him.

Then it hit Foxpaw. Like a monster on the thunder-path. Heronshade was controlling Foxpaw's body. At that moment, Heronshade was Foxpaw. And Foxpaw could only sit and watch helplessly from his own mind.

"It's fine, please can you continue on?" Swiftstar asked, his tail swishing. Suspicion could be seen in his eyes. Something seemed... off... about Foxpaw. There was something different. The ginger apprentice spoke smoothly, with confidence. As if the clans were bowing down at his paws.

"Yes Swiftstar," 'Foxpaw', or rather Heronshade, replied, "Where was I? Oh yes, the whole second kittypet part, I believe. Well, the second kittypet was a she cat who decided it was a good idea to attack me. So, I was simply defending myself against her and then the tom tried to fight me yet again, so again, I fought back. At least until Wingheart stopped me. "

Swiftstar didn't reply right away, he seemed to be processing this new information, thinking it over. "Well, Foxpaw, that seems pretty reasonable. I mean, you were defending the territory and yourself. I see that you have an excuse, but I doubt Wingheart sees it that way. "

Heronshade nodded and Foxpaw scowled. I didn't have a reason! I don't know why I even attacked poor Perry!? He mentally shouted out in frustration.

"So, to keep some of the clan happy, you'll have to help the queens and kits for a moon. By that, I mean cleaning out their nests, bringing them prey, and even just playing with those hyper-active kits. " Swiftstar explained and Heronshade replied in an even tone,"Yes Swiftstar, will do. Also, I'm dreadfully sorry for causing you trouble."

Swiftstar nodded slowly, his eyes narrowed. His whiskers twitched,"It's fine Foxpaw, but try and be more careful will you? Oh and you might want to go see Silverheart for that scratch, it could get infected. " "Of course." Heronshade continued, his tail flicking.

Foxpaw growled and unsheathed his claws, digging them into the ground beneath him. Give me back control you mouse-brained, fox-hearted piece of sparrow-dung! The furious apprentice snarled. Foxpaw narrowed his eyes, his lips curling back. He knew that either Heronshade would give him back control... or Foxpaw would have to fight for it.

The determined tom took a breath and concentrated. He imagined his control as an eagle egg, small at first. But then Foxpaw imagined it hatching and growing bigger and bigger from a chick to a large eagle. Brave, strong, and free.

Foxpaw tried his hardest. His breaths grew into heavier pants. His heart rate rose. Come on, come on... Foxpaw mumbled to himself, he needed to do this. Who knows what Heronshade could do if he was free out here? For all Foxpaw knew, Heronshade could murder Swiftstar and take over the clan. Or he could just eat all of Crowpaw's squirrels... but either way, he had to be stopped.

Foxpaw knew he was able to do it. It wasn't impossible. Nothing's impossible! Foxpaw remembered Mousepaw telling him that when she was hunting with him and he had said that he would never be as good of a hunter as her.

I can do this! I know I can! Heronshade, I'll stop you from ever harming one hair on any cat in my clan! Foxpaw yowled, his eyes held tightly shut.

When Foxpaw did open his green eyes, he was met by a different scene then the clearing. He was in Swiftstar's den, Foxpaw's heart soared at this aspect. Swiftstar sat in front of him, a strange expression on his face. But that didn't matter to Foxpaw, nothing did at that moment. All that matters was he beat it. He beat Heronshade.

Okay, I'm really sorry I haven't updated. I was having writer's block for this chapter. I mean, I have ideas for the next chapters, but barely any for this one. So, anyways, comment and vote please. Tell me what you thought about this chapter.

1) Anything I can do better?

2) Ideas on how to get over writer's block?

3) What did you like and dislike about this chapter?