Chapter 15

(Picture is of Dewkit)

A grin appeared on Foxpaw's face as he basked in his pride at beating this cat at his own game. "Foxpaw, can you stop zoning out?" Swiftstar said, a hint of annoyance in his voice. Foxpaw felt embarrassed,"Sorry..." Swiftstar sighed,"Just try not to to do it again."

Foxpaw felt a bit bad for annoying Swiftstar so much, But half of the the time it wasn't me! He argued with himself. Huh, you're stronger then I thought.. Heronshade mumbled in his mind, Foxpaw mentally growled, Go away, will ya?

Alright little cat, but one more thing... Heronshade said, Keep an eye on your two brothers. Bravepaw and Lionpaw, was it? Oh, and try to keep close to Sunpaw. That was the last thing Heronshade said to him before seemingly leaving Foxpaw's mind. Foxpaw wanted to ask him what he meant by that, but was unable to. The tom who had possessed him, was now gone.

"Now, run along to Silverheart and then meet Hollybreeze by the Warrior's den." Swiftstar ordered the young apprentice. "Yes Swiftstar." Foxpaw replied, trying to hide cheerfulness in his voice.

Without so much as a goodbye, Foxpaw walked out of his leader's den, along with a new sense of pride and belief. He was able to do it! He beat Heronshade. Not in a battle, but with his other skills! See! I'm not weak! Foxpaw excitedly thought, Ha! And Tigerfur thought I'd never amount to anything!

The young tom hurried along to the Medicine Cat den, keen on telling Sunpaw all about his victory. A giddy grin was on his face and cats turned and looked at him funny.

"Foxpaw? Where're you going?" A small voice asked, confused. Foxpaw skidded to a halt and turned, finding the source of the voice. It was his kin, Dewkit. The small gray-and-white tom was now about 4-and-a-half moons and was clearly excited for his apprentice ceremony in a few moons.

"Oh, hello Dewkit." Foxpaw greeted, walking over to the younger cat. Dewkit nodded a greeting and repeated," Where're you going?" Foxpaw's whiskers twitched, should he tell Dewkit? But shouldn't he have known about the whole kittypet thing? On the other paw, he didn't know what Foxpaw had to do.

Foxpaw took a breath before replying to the kit," I have to go to the Medicine Cat." "Why?" Dewkit asked curiously, Foxpaw sighed, with questions like this, he'd never get anywhere. "To get this scratch healed." The apprentice replied, pointing to the still-bleeding claw mark on his cheek with his tail.

Dewkit nodded slightly before glancing over at the nursery," Honeyflower's upset so Birdfeather made me come out and play, but Icekit and Rainkit won't play with me!" Dewkit complained, Foxpaw froze. Honeyflower is upset? Is it because of me? Foxpaw thought, his eyes watering.

"Um, why is she upset?" The ginger tabby asked, his tail twitching nervously. Dewkit paused for a second, seeming deep in thought. The kit's eyes narrowed as he replied," She was crying out yer name." Foxpaw stiffened and he felt immediate dread. A hole seemed to have been shot through his heart like a worm in an apple.

Dewkit coughed, getting Foxpaw's attention. "Y'all right there Dewkit?" Foxpaw choked out, trying not to cry at the thought of Honeyflower being so upset. Dewkit sniffed," My throat hurts." He complained," But I'll be-" Dewkit cut himself off with a fit of harsh coughing. It was then that Foxpaw noticed how bad Dewkit actually looked. His green eyes were bloodshot and watery, his pale nose was running, while his gray-and-white pelt was messy. To top it all off, poor Dewkit was shaking like a leaf in the wind.

How had I not noticed? Foxpaw growled mentally at himself, All my kin either hates me, is disappointed, or sick!

Foxpaw turned to the shivering kit, "Come with me Dewkit, we need to see Silverheart and Sunpaw. " Dewkit let out a weak growl, "I'm fine!" Foxpaw was a bit surprised at Dewkit's boldness, but dismissed it, quickly coming up with a plan," No Dewkit, I'm scared of going there alone and I need a brave, strong cat like yourself to come with me."

Dewkit seemed to be deep in thought, he was looking down at his fluffy, white paws. "Ummmmm...." Dewkit started off," Okay, but only because I'm brave and want to help you Foxpaw!" Dewkit puffed out his chest, a superior look on his face. Foxpaw wanted to laugh, but held back from doing so.

"Come on then." Foxpaw said, flicking his tail as he started to make his way towards the Medicine Cat den. Dewkit followed, a giddy grin on his face. The small kit was a bit gullible, so that helped with Foxpaw's whole plan.

The two cats walked passed their clan-mates and padded inside the den. Inside, Foxpaw immediately spotted his older brother, Sunpaw. The golden-and-white tabby was sorting through herbs near the back of the den. His green eyes were narrowed in concentration, so it was no surprise when he let out a yowl when Dewkit had decided to yell out, "SUNPAW!"

Sunpaw jumped, his fur spiked up, he turned and glared at Dewkit," What was that for?" He asked, annoyed. Dewkit had a sheepish smile on his face as he looked down at his paws,"Sorry Sunpaw..."

The Medicine Cat apprentice sighed,"It's fine Dewkit, just don't do it again." He warned, Dewkit nodded," I won't." The kit promised

Sunpaw smiled at this and turned to Foxpaw, "Long time no see, brother." Sunpaw sounded so mature, much older then he actually was. He had gained something over these moons, something important. Wisdom.

"Hi Sunpaw." Foxpaw greeted his older brother with a friendly flick of the tail,"Swiftstar said to get these scratches healed up." Sunpaw nodded,"Oh Foxpaw, becoming a troublemaker now are ya?" Foxpaw rolled his eyes at this,"No Sunpaw, just a misunderstanding it was."

"Alright, alright." Sunpaw said, glancing over at Foxpaw's few wounds,"Silverheart's out collecting herbs right now, but she'll be back soon." He told the ginger apprentice,"Now, what's Dewkit doing here?" He asked, not acknowledging the fact that Dewkit was right next to him.

"I'm helping Foxpaw because he's scared!" Dewkit announced proudly, standing up on his short legs. Foxpaw whispered into Sunpaw's ear," He was coughing, so I thought maybe you could see if anything was wrong with him." Sunpaw nodded,"He looks a bit sick, I'll take a look after I take care of you, brother."

Foxpaw sighed,"Okay, just don't make me eat anything gross, will ya?" He asked hopefully, his nose wrinkling at the thought of such disgusting herbs.

Sunpaw grinned a toothy grin, a mischievous glint in his eyes," No promises..." He smirked.

Okay, I'm super fluffin' sorry I haven't updated! But, again, I was having writer's block. On the contrary (or whatever) how did you like this chapter?