Chapter 8

(Picture is of Sunpaw, except he has green eyes)

Foxpaw yawned as he passed out of his new den. Tigerfur had told him to get up at dawn for training. He had mentioned basic fighting moves, but Foxpaw had a feeling that 'basic' to Tigerfur meant something else to other cats.

He stepped over a still asleep Crowpaw and slipped outside the den. Only a few cats were up, including the deputy, Hollybreeze. The cats were probably on dawn patrol. One of them, Littleflower, smiled and nodded a greeting. Foxpaw nodded back, he had only talked to the small she cat a few times, but she was always nice.

Foxpaw spotted Tigerfur eating a shrew in the corner of camp. It was hard to see him since he was covered by shadows. Foxpaw could only see his amber eyes which seemed to stare into his soul.

"T-Tigerfur?" The small tom asked, stuttering a bit,"Are we training today?" Tigerfur looked up,"I asked Blackfur to show you some basic fighting moves while I go on patrol." He explained and returned to his half-eaten shrew. Foxpaw tilted his head," Just me and Blackfur?" "No. Lionpaw is going with you."

Foxpaw nodded meekly, this is what he had been dreading his entire life. Battle training with Lionpaw. He could picture Lionpaw's cruel smirk as he dug his claws into his neck.

"Go now." Tigerfur growled annoyed and returned to his prey, ignoring Foxpaw.

Foxpaw nodded and padded towards the clearing where he saw Blackfur with an impatient Lionpaw. "Can we go now?!" Lionpaw snarled, his tail lashing angrily. "We have to wait for Foxpaw." Blackfur replied, it seemed like he was trying to block Lionpaw out.

Foxpaw padded up, his head lowered slightly and his ears layed back. "Uh... Blackfur? Tigerfur told me that you'd be training me..." He said softly, his tail twitching nervously.

"Yes Foxpaw." Blackfur said,"Now we can go Lionpaw." He glanced at the bristling golden apprentice. Lionpaw nodded slightly. Blackfur briskly walked towards the camp entrance with Lionpaw padding behind him. Foxpaw followed, hoping he would be able to keep up with Blackfur and his older brother.

Blackfur was in a jog, Foxpaw was surprised how fast he was. The little ginger tom pushed himself to keep up. Lionpaw looked behind him at his brother and smirked,"Hurry up runt." Foxpaw gulped and ran faster.

Eventually, after a long run, they reached the training clearing. Foxpaw panted heavily while Lionpaw was unfazed. Well, I have shorter legs then you! Foxpaw thought, his tail lashing. He shook his pelt and entered the clearing with Blackfur and Lionpaw. Lionpaw's eyes were filled with anticipation. While Foxpaw looked around in amazement. This is where he would learn to be a warrior.

"Okay. So today you'll just learn some basics." Blackfur announced, sitting down. Lionpaw growled softly, it was obvious he didn't want to do 'some basics'.

Blackfur started to explain the first move they'd be learning,"Alright, so first I'll show you a basic defensive move. The Play Dead move." Foxpaw fidgeted excitedly,"Okay, Foxpaw, try and pin me down. " Blackfur said

Foxpaw's eyes widened, "W-what?" Blackfur sighed,"Fine. Lionpaw, you try and pin me." Lionpaw grinned maliciously, Foxpaw let out a sigh of relief, he didn't want to fight Blackfur.

Lionpaw growled and leapt at Blackfur. He pinned the tom down and his tail lashed. Blackfur struggled a bit before going limp, his eyes stopped moving.

Foxpaw stood there in shock. Blackfur... Was he dead? Foxpaw wasn't sure what to do. Lionpaw looked down at his mentors confused, he knew he was strong, but not that strong! He couldn't really kill Blackfur by pinning him down. The golden tabby loosened his grip, just as he did that, however, Blackfur sprang up at him. Lionpaw yowled in shock as he flew back. Foxpaw's eyes were wide, he sighed in relief.

"That is how you do the Play-Dead move." Blackfur said, shaking his dusty fur. Lionpaw, scowling and muttering curses, walked over. His fur was sticking up and his eyes narrowed. If looks could kill, Foxpaw thought, Blackfur would be dead.

Foxpaw walked over to the two cats as Blackfur started to explain the move in detail,"This move can be used in battle when you are unable to get free from your opponent. You go completely limp, convincing them you are dead, and when they loosen their grip, spring up and attack them."

Lionpaw rolled his eyes,"That's simple." But Foxpaw listened intently, that move could be important. One day, it might even save his life!

"It is. Yet it is an essential move to know." Blackfur said,"How about we practice the move?"

Alright! I updated! Sorry for the wait, I was actually working on a story. I've been writing it and am planning on posting it when I'm done. But anyway, hope you liked this chapter. Sorry that it's short. Vote, comment.